Everready Starting and Lighting system

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Everready Starting and Lighting system
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Need some help again.

One of my friends had a "Everready Starting and Lighting system" from a Model T adapted on his 1912 Minerva. The car is + grounded and have a 12V system.
It was not working when he get it.
The unit was all cleaned and put together again.
With the right size off wires the starter part of the unit is working as it should be but we can't get any current out of the generator part.
As we put the unit on a test stand and we connect the generator side on a battery it spins as an electric motor so I think the armature (is the same for the starter part) and the generator field coils are ok. There is a build in cut out that I should like to test but I don't know if it can be done out of the unit and how I can do this. Can the cut out be replaced by a model T or model A one?? Should the field coils be polorized?

In the " Automobile Electrical System 1921" from Moreton and Hatch I found, in chapter VI, how the same unit should be used on a Model T but I found no information how it should be tested or repaired and no electric information.
In the attachment a few photos of the unit.

Anyway thanks for the advice you will give.

Andre
belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 07:48 am:

A Model T is negative ground. If that generator was designed to work negative ground it would not work with the terminals reversed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 08:28 am:

I hope he has the front cover to keep the crap out.

In Google Books, search "eveready starting" - be sure to include the quotes and spell eveready correctly with only one r.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Erik is right on. At page 101 of the Automobile Electrical System on Google Books at:
http://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5QadHAIzY_JCx4gUTsaZWKYS ddBkrY4yUBB2THp0fouMZc3hm1Mm4clXaiLlGuhO03YzIiwsBEx3pl78z-Q9Sawt3EfshwjbdQGM123i CJ5QeVBs_khPffkvfGB3-wBz3zq6zVa5mzluMELpfevEX3jC8R_n1_DMJTUvIwklwpc-bkJmlFgb8ZIa TypjEfZ9__y1f9U0ZiLwAxS9-awi4QFsmk9i11YmHo3CAW2UKFZVnWpPkMrgYEg-sJISzJ_qDzHj8zmU 1iFzSZeh3SNaleibYysMfEA

I did not read the complete article -- so I don't know which way it said the battery should be installed. But it should work fine as long as you follow all the directions. The article may have some additional details. It specifically said that the cut out was located inside the unit and that it would not start charging on a Model T Ford until the engine speed in high gear was propelling the car approximately 11.5 miles per hour. Also that the generator and starter used different brushes.

Note while just switching the wires will not change a generator from positive to negative ground -- flashing the generator can change it from one to the other on many generators. When replacing the generator on my MGB, I had to flash the generator to set the polarity correctly. See: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et202.htm Caution -- that might mess up the starter part if you change the way it is flashed. I would recommend just following the directions -- which ever way they recommend.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration