Bennett brake pedal interfering with full travel of low/clutch pedal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bennett brake pedal interfering with full travel of low/clutch pedal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Same 23 as my other post. Older cast Bennett brake pedal with cam RMtn brakes. The arm on the brake pedal is interfering with the arm on the clutch/low pedal. In order to get good brake pedal the low band had to be choked up and there was not much pedal left to engage low. The link end of the low pedal arm was coming back and striking the arm on the Bennett pedal.
I don't think it would be good to grind on a casting to allow the low pedal and link to get by. The arm that holds the clutch link on the pedal does not look to be bent and can't because it would hit the bendix cover.
I have removed the brake band to get as much free pedal as I could. Right now I have it set for good low but not much brake pedal moment which is maybe why I have almost no braking in reverse on a small down hill slope.
Has anyone else had this problem, if so how did you fix it?
The brakes work ok going forward with this setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Do you have the link on correctly on the low pedal to the clutch lever? The cotter pin should be to the right and the link should be to the left of the low pedal. Sometimes the wrong position of the link will interfere with the brake pedal lever.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

That is the order they are installed. It's not the end of the link that sticks through, the end of the arm is hitting before the link even gets close to hit. The thickness of the casting in that area plus the jog might work for non-stater cars or I am missing something. By time I would bend the lever on the pedal over to clear it would cause the link to rub on Bendix cover and think the clutch link would still hit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:57 am:

They modified the clutch pedal when they came out with the starter. Do you have the correct one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Mark

Perhaps that Bennett brake pedal is just wrong. Seems it should work. Maybe show a photo?

Here is a new AC Brake pedal. It clears just fine.

Pedal in place, clearance fine, cover on Bendix off for pedal install, but there was no issues with cover on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Correct low/clutch pedal. I have run into trying to fit early style pedal in starter car, no go on that. I should have gotten some photos before I took the car back. I need to be able to get my car out for this weekend. When I get back over I will get some. Dan could be onto something, looks like you have a lots of room between yours.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration