Finally got a title for my 21 Touring!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Finally got a title for my 21 Touring!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

The Title for my 21 Touring arrived in the mail Yesterday after a couple of months.
Your lucky if you have a Title of a bill of sale. I had nothing but the remains of the T my father gave me over 40 years ago.
After going to the local tax office and DMV here in Central Texas and getting many doubtful looks and we're sorry answers I was about to give up until I saw that some here on the forum used a bonded title service.

I used L.Palmer@ClassicAutoTitle.com in Southlake here in Texas. These folks know all the correct paperwork and procedures you need in getting a title in Texas.

The DMV just didn't quite understand or know what I needed. Maybe it was who I talked to. Not sure about that.

Every state is probably a little different than others so check in your state what you need to do.

For my situation this was literally the only way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Every state is different, by a lot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Not only is every state different, with its own set of rules and regulations, but those rules and regulations are understood or misunderstood differently by the folks who are supposed to apply them. Your experience in getting a vehicle registered often depends on the attitude and/or knowledge of the person you happen to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 12:05 am:

I have used a bonded title service and was very happy with getting a Title thru them. Yes, it cost me a few $$'s. However, I was happy to stay out of the DMV office. Be very careful what you say to DMV people....give them only what is required, nothing extra! The bonded title service took care of all the paper work and dealing with DMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:26 am:

John, which Texas official verified the engine number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

I had to go to the local DMV where they verified the engine no. and to make sure the car wasn't stolen. It was an officer from the anti-theft unit that covers several counties. The state requires a licensed state officer to do the verification if no record is available as was my case.

Being as old as it is there wasn't any record of the car being stolen or otherwise. Texas removes vehicles after 25 years from their records if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps Anthony. Texas has several DMV offices across Texas and they do DMV verification checks all the time. When I went there in line there was a 57 Ford hardtop, 56 Ford Pickup and an old Cushman scooter that was in line for Title and VIN no. verification along with several other vehicles that was doing the same as I was. It goes on all the time the officer told me.

This is a requirement you have to have whether you go through a private bonding service or use the DMV to try to get a title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

I recently did this in Texas. There is a much easier way John.

You simply go to the nearest state inspection location. They charge you $1 to inspect the VIN on the car. They give you a report to take to the DMV.

Then you go to the DMV with the VIN verification, an insurance card from your insurance company with the same VIN, and a bill of sale from the previous owner. You tell the DMV that the car has been out of service since before WWII, and therefore has never been titled, since titles were not issued in Texas until after the war.

The state issues a "NEW" title for your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

I wonder if that would have worked in my case. I didn't have a bill of sale or any paper work at all.
And I didn't know that titles weren't issued in Texas until after WW2.

From what your saying Royce is that I would have to have called my insurance company and added the 21 Touring to my insurance and get a card. But then again I would still have to have had a bill of sale or something proving that my Father gave me the car. That's something that I didn't have.

The DMV or tax office didn't say anything about going to an inspection station or that Titles weren't issued before WW2.
I have a feeling that just didn't know about those two things.

Interesting.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration