Highlights from the HCCA Brass and Gas tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Highlights from the HCCA Brass and Gas tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

I know it's been a while since I've posted on this forum, and that I'm posting about a month after the fact, but I thought I'd share some highlights from the HCCA's New England Brass and Gas tour in Boxborough. Here's my T in front of the Martha and Mary Chapel at the Wayside Inn, which Henry Ford bought and preserved in 1923

Here's my girlfriend about to take over driving Caroline driving

And last but not least, here's Tim Kelly's gorgeous Model K, which he let me drive around the hotel parking lot to my heart's content. Definitely one of the highlights of the week. Rob Heyen, if you read this, I can see why you're so keen on the model K - it's an amazing car to drive (although I was surprised to learn that great big six was mated to a two-speed planetary)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Hm. I guess the other photos are to large to attach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

John,
It sounds like a great tour. If you have a chance, please post the other pics.

It seems Henry Ford's antipathy toward cone clutch selective gear systems carried over to the Model K (as well as Model B before). In reality, a six cylinder mated to a two speed is every bit as well matched, or more so, than a two or four cylinder in my opinion.

Thank you for the post,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

To post a photo, make a copy of it and resize the copy to no more than 250 KB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

Steve - that's tricky to do when you're posting on a smartphone :P

I've put them all on an album on IMGUR which you can see at this link: http://imgur.com/a/RWPxQ

I've also included pics from the Collings Foundation - a Peerless traction engine, and an original 1909 Bleriot (the airframe is original, but I think it has a VW engine) that they actually fly. I feel a little bit nuts driving a 100 year old car, but I can't really hold a candle to a guy who flies around in that contraption!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 12:11 am:

John, one of your pics showing Tim's Model K, and I presume your 15 T:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 12:14 am:

Thank you for sharing!
I always enjoy tour reports.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:06 am:

Rob - that's not my T actually; although mine is a '15 with laminated wood wheels, it's a roadster, not a touring car.

Wayne - I have a bunch of other photos from the tour, but they're mostly of other brass-era cars. Only posted the ones I thought would be particularly relevant to the MTFCA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

John - It's too bad that my antique auto insurance policy doesn't cover drivers under 25 years of age (unless they have been added to my policy). Otherwise you might have found yourself motoring down the road with me as your co-pilot in my K.

If you happen to be in town (maybe visiting your girl friend ?) contact me. If the stars align, and the K is home, we'll go for a spin. And if the K is not home, maybe we can find something else interesting to take for a drive.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 06:32 am:

Tim was just on the HCCA 1&2 cylinder tour in NJ. His K stayed in his gargantuan trailer, but he drove a beautiful 1904 A whose restoration had been completed less than a week before. So yeah, he might be able to find something interesting to take you for a ride in!

By the way, I wrote a report on that Brass and Gas tour for the HCCA website. You can find it here:

boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=873

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:55 am:

A nice feature of Gil's report is competent English. He even knows how to use apostrophes. :-)

http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=873

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration