New windshield glass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New windshield glass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 06:53 am:

I want to replace the plate glass windshield on my '26 Touring. Does the glass kit sold by the vendors actually fit, or is it just "pretty close"? I have read in past posts that some guys have gone to a local glass shop and had them custom cut it. Not being retired, I really do like having a package arrive on my porch when I need parts. Taking time off from work and driving all over the place quickly covers most shipping costs, in my view. What have others paid for glass bought locally?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 07:07 am:

Don't drive around, phone around. Listen to see what attitude you get. Many shops don't want to bother with these cars and will avoid you or quote insane prices to deter you. Keep calling until you find a shop that wants to help. I found a place that had the glass in stock. I brought them my old glass as a pattern and they cut a perfect piece for less than $100.00. Easy for them to make, easy for you to install but, you must find the right shop first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:02 am:

Dave, I just took the windshield to the local glass shop and for 110.00 they made and installed the glass. I did this for both the 27 coupe and the 25 utility. I'm having all the glass for the coupe made locally per specs from this forum. Very simple and much cheaper than supplier's. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:47 am:

I like taking the windshield to the glass shop and letting them cut and install the glass. That way, if a piece should get broken in the process, it's on them, not me. (And that has happened.)

My local auto glass shop charges $100 for both pieces, installed. And if he doesn't happen to have clear glass in stock, he'll order it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

There was a glass shop near me that made every piece of glass for my 1926 Fordor and charged $155.00 for all 9 pieces (not installed) - this was about 8 years ago - sadly he passed and the new owner is not interested in cutting a new windshield for any price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Dave

Think that only MAC's sells glass. Did order the 2 piece '23-'25 set for the windshield. It fit good, used the original alum channel strips to secure. Was right thickness of glass and fit snug and good in the channels. Packed well and arrive safe.

Used Ford instructions to install.

But on the '27 touring, took the old plate out of the windshield frames, then cleaned, and took the frames to the powder coater, and had them done in shiny black.

The '26-'27 don't use the alum channel strips, but instead use cork bedding tape. Took the frames and old glass for patterns to the local auto glass shop, talked to the installer not the desk gal.

Told him to locate cloth bedding tape, and showed him how to do it. If you don't you could end up with silicone sealer in the channel and that is bad, too rigid, the glass needs a channel to 'float' in, either the brass or alum for the earlier cars, or the cloth/cork substitute bedding tape for the Improved Cars.

Results for the '27 were again fine. Cost was less than the $160 plus shipping that the MAC's pieces cost me, and me doing the labor on the '23!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration