Cooling Fan Angle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cooling Fan Angle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Spotts on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 08:47 am:

Is my fan bracket bent or is it supposed to be this way(pointed down)? And do I have it assembled correctly with the stop nut at the back?

pic1
pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:18 am:

It appears that it is bent. Should not be like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:22 am:

Looks bent to me. I've had to heat and straighten a few. May take a couple tries to get the belt running in the middle of the pulley. Make sure the belt surface of the pulley is crowned. If worn flat the belt will run off to the side.
Do you really need the water pump? It appears you have a flat tube radiator and if it's in decent shape you won't need the pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:25 am:

It's bent. Try bend the bracket so it lines up better - and you may even try it without the pump, mostly they'll cool without pump if the system is clean from rust and debris.(and the ignition timing is right)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:42 am:

You should have a grease cup on the rear not a jamb nut. If you have the correct shaft there should be a hole that feed grease to the hub drilled through it.

Unless you have the sealed bearing type hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:34 am:

There's also not enough pitch to your fan blades. Unfortunately, that's how the reproduction blades are made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Before you bend anything, check the bronze bushings inside the hub. Without a grease cup, the fan might have been running dry for some time and the pull of the belt would cause wear. With the belt off, the fan should spin freely but not have side or up and down play. If the bushings check out, then try rotating the shaft to see if it might be bent. If it appears to be straight, the bracket would be bent and need to be straightened.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:10 am:

It's no surprise that several folks have suggested you take off the water pump. I concur.

However, when the water pump was installed it is likely that a thermostat was installed at the same time. It needs to be removed as well, if you remove the pump. It will be between the black 'outlet' and the red cylinder head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

Clearly, a new repro, inserted bearing fan hub w/blades and yes, the fan bracket is out of alignment. I would remove the bracket from the timing cover so as to not damage the cover - those brackets are somewhat "stout" so I would use some heat. Use a square to verify trueness.

Being's it is a sealed bearing type hub, a jam nut is sufficient in holding the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Appears to be a '17-'25 fan bracket, probably used because of that water pump. The correct bracket for that repro brass hub fan would be the '11-'16 style which has angled shape.

Also could be wrong bolt holding that fan bracket to the block, or some washer added there, or that bolt is not tight, it should have a cotter in the threaded end, that may have contributed to the bracket being lopsided too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Jerry's post about the repop fan blades is important; the blades must have the correct angle for optimum airflow without endangering the radiator. When I did my early fan I got the repop blades but then took them to a local sheet metal shop for what amounted to a re-manufacturing. It was worth it because the fan now works as Ford intended.

Check your blades; the "twist line" should occur across a line that is 1-11/16" from the center of the fan shaft hole, according to the Ford drawing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

Thanks R.V. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is listening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Me too. Case in point: I should have written ALONG a line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Spotts on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Thanks for all the suggestions! All of the fan parts you see are new except the fan bracket. I disassembled everything, put the bracket in a vice, and broke out the torch. Now she's running straight and true! I will take another look at putting more pitch on the blades.

Is there any disadvantage of keeping the water pump(no t-stat installed btw) in place? Seems like with the HOT summer days in NC, it would be advantageous?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

The stock thermosiphon cooling system (which does not include a water pump) will work fine if a good radiator is in place, and the block is clean in its passages. You could be potentially causing it to heat more with the pump on. Or it may not be doing anything to help or hinder at all.

Bottom line is, every car is different. If you like the period accessory and have no leakage or coolant issues, go ahead and use it. I personally would try it without the water pump and a good original stock fan that has the proper curve and twist on the blades (check for cracks in the blades).

With the hood closed on mine, you can feel the air rushing out of the hood louvers while running.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration