OT - badge engineering?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - badge engineering?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:13 am:

A long term project is the rescuing of a 1920-1930 high wheel garden tractor. One of the spark plugs found in the machine is a "Champion-Ford." So one can assume that if there is a Ford spark plug in the machine it is a Ford tractor - yes? I went searching for new spark plugs today at a long established feedmill/tractor supply store. They were gracious enough to look through the old stock for two new plugs. Of course, the old stock of Champion X and A-25 are long gone. They called their supplier only to be told that the product is no longer available. So for those who enjoy discussions I have attached a picture of my Ford Tractor and plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Not original but a pair of these will work
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Spark-Plug-Copper-Plus- OE-Type/_/R-CHA525_0317935403
and they are readily available

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Don't think that's a Ford. Universal, perhaps? Engine looks like a two cylinder Wisconsin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:40 am:

Or a Standard Twin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Looks like a Standard Monarch Twin to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:27 am:

GR Cheshire thank you for the spark plug information.

The tractor is Viking. Based on the information found, it is circa 1928. Data states "B*******" block casting numbers place them in that year range. The fuel is supplied with a Tillotson Carburetor and a Wico magneto. And yes the Ford Champion plugs were found in the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Is that " pipe thread? If so, I expect a regular Champion X like you use in your T would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Jeff, yes a 1/2 inch. The plugs that were with the motor were the "Champion - Ford." The photo of the tractor has a Champion A-25 and an AC 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

George, they are still available but Champion gave them new stock numbers. The X plug is now a 425, and the A25 plug is now a 525.
For some reason, some suppliers can't cross reference the numbers, but they are available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

I wonder if that is the rite plug that eng. needs? I would think it would have newer 18mm with gasket? maybe someone forced in what they had?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

I have a Fuller and Johnson 2NC hit and miss and a McCormick Deering 3-5 HP and I have found that on smaller engines; it seems that any plug that fits will work.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration