Body panel seam trim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Body panel seam trim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

Looking for some help on how to remove and re-install the body panel seam covers. I have to remove some of the sheet metal on my 24 fordor to replace some body wood. The panel seam covers are aluminum and do not have any visable fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

this is what i am asking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

John I believe the body seams are nailed on. I have a 24 Coupe and did own a 25 Fordor and the seams are nailed on.
On my Coupe I had to reset a loose section end. I used a thin putty knife or as some call a broad knife and carefully pried up the seam and saw where the nail went through the seam and into the wood.
Others may have a different way to raise the trim but that's how I did it.

Ford must have drilled holes in the trim pieces and then used finishing nails and set them flush.
They must have used lead or some type of putty to smooth over the holes and nail heads.
Others probably have the correct answer as to how it was done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

Thanks for the info. I will sand an area on the trim to see if it as some kind of filler being used to cover the nails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

Mine had the holes for nails and a filler covering heads. You may experience nail pulling all the way through. Some relocation of nails will be necessary.Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

I think the hardest part is pulling the trim pieces without bending them up too much. I worked it from both ends and the center. The trim is aluminum and most likely corroded against the steel. Then to refasten I found the proper head size of finishing nails and cut them to length. I also used a product called PL-S30 Locktite adhesive to form a gasket between the aluminum trim and steel to prevent the corrosion from starting all over again. It also sealed the two metal body parts against leakage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Thanks for all the great information. I will start taking it apart tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Thanks for bringing this subject to the Forum, John!
I also have a related question for this... The '25 coupe I'm working on has a loose vertical trim piece behind the quarter window, passenger side. Although there were obvious nails protruding toward the body panels/seam side for the car, it still appeared the exterior (body line) panel had been placed over (i.e. covering) a nailed rail. Haven't gotten far enough to work on it, but that's what I thought I'd observed. Initial attempts to disengage the two have been unsuccessful. Will someone please educate me if I'm wrong?? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 04:23 am:

Marvin, I have had instances where the nails have rusted and swelled to the point they no longer back out of the body panel holes. I ended up using several flat chisels to force the trim up. This seemed to work pretty good and didn't bend the body panels. I hope this is relative to your question. The 22 centerdoor and 27 Fordors all had butted body panels and nailed trim to cover the seems, no nail rails. However, some areas the body panels overlapped which made the removal much more difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Thanks again, Don!
Those seamed panels will now be looked at differently. Am also pleased I was able to point you to an additional source for the Rust Bullet. Enjoy your summer!
Marv

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration