Has anyone used a partial flap for a split rim?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Has anyone used a partial flap for a split rim?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Fixing flats and switching tires today. The flap on my spare turned out to have split in the old rubber, so I took off a tire from another split rim I've found. There I only found a short piece of flap held in place by the valve stem and just covering the split by one inch. The short flap tapers off in thickness by the ends.
Getting a new one takes a week or more, so I wonder if anyone has used something like this with success? The tube where I found it holds air, so it must have worked back in the day. A possible drawback could be unbalance - all of the extra weight like the split mechanism, the valve stem and the flap is concentrated in one area. But as a spare it won't be used much, so unbalance wouldn't matter much..
I use ceramic balancing beads in the tubes of the wheels in use.

Flap flop?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

Well, I looked further in my stash, had another split rim to plunder, in there I found a good flap that goes all around :-)
Will leave the short flap for some other day if I'm really short on flaps..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration