Glass Replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Glass Replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

I want to replace the front windshield (2 pieces), rear window (top) and the portholes windows in my 16 couplet.

For the front I know I'll need auto safety glass but for the back and sides can I use laminated or tempered glass? Somewhat confused.

Also any Ventura county (California) peeps know of a good auto glass shop that will do this for me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Safety glass all around. On TV's Fantomworks they were repairing a windshield on an antique car and it broke. Tempered glass. They found shards over 20 feet away from the bench they were working on. Stuff's bad news on cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Just about every modern car you buy has tempered glass in the side and rear windows. Tempered does not break into shards. It crumbles into small pieces. Yup, it can still hurt you, but it's not going to kill you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

OK so shards was a poor choice of words to describe thousands of jet propelled pea sized razor sharp "bits".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:31 am:

Modern safety glass is not the same thickness as the old plate glass. As I recall, it's a bit thicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:59 am:

IF you get modern windshield glass, yes it's thicker, but the side glass rated glass is OK. You just have to have a shop that understands what you are doing and is willing to cut it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration