Question about motor driven horns

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question about motor driven horns
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:10 pm:

I bought a used, working motor driven horn. There are no markings on it, is there a specific + and - post or does it not matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

Unless it's a permanent magnet motor, which is highly unlikely, polarity won't matter. It will rotate in the same direction regardless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 06:39 am:

Just take care that your terminals are well insulated from the horn body.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Thanks.

I would have sworn being a DC motor that hooking it up backwards would make the motor turn the other way (makes sense to me anyhow), but I am certainly no electronics expert.

It seemed to work either way when tested so I just wanted to be sure before I proceeded with wiring it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

It's entirely possible that the motor will turn opposite directions depending on polarity, but so what? The bumpy wheel on the motor that hits a bolt in the diaphragm probably won't care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

No, it won't rotate backwards on reverse polarity unless it uses permanent magnets in place of field coils. As strong permanent magnets did not exist at the time these horns were made, they invariably use field coils.
A brush motor with field coils does not care about polarity. If it did, things like vacuum cleaners and electric drills would not work on AC.
If you want a field coil motor to run in reverse, you have to reverse either the field coil connections, or the armature connections, but not both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 12:55 am:

Usually a aahoogggaa horn sounds better wired one way or the other but doesn't matter this I'm guessing is from use ?.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration