Removing babbitt bearing in drive line shaft tube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing babbitt bearing in drive line shaft tube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 11:18 pm:

26 Tudor. How is the easiest way to remove the babbitt bearing in the U-joint end of the drive line shaft tube? Will the babbitt just release from the steel tube or do I need heat on it? I have thought about taking a threaded rod about 18" long and welding a piece of steel to one end small enough to put through the tube but larger than the babbitt and dropping through the tube. Then put another piece of steel on the top larger than the U-joint housing and thread a nut on it and twist the nut to pull it out. Will that work or is there a better way? Thanks for your help. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 02:59 am:

Rand, the babbitt bush is not tinned in place. It will push/pull out just like a bronze bush. I have a machined 1/2" water pipe cap and a length of 1/2" rod to get them out. I put the cap on the rod and drop the torque tube over these, then just give the end of the rod a good whack or two and out they come.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:12 am:

Thanks Alan, I'll take a look at that idea. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Don't use a puller that rests on the front of the ball. This can happen.

Better to drive it out from the backside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:18 am:

Steve got it right on this one. I used a piece of pipe I had in the garage to pop mine out. It works every time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration