How to Remove Rivets on Seat Lid Hinge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How to Remove Rivets on Seat Lid Hinge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:10 am:

Planning on replacing the hinges and seat lid on my 1916 Touring car. Nothing there now but the old rivets.

rivets

What is the best or easiest way to remove them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:18 am:

Very carefully with a Dremel tool and grinding disc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 05:44 am:

Where do you get these hinges?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Drill a hole through the center of the rivet - use as large diameter drill bit as possible without enlarging the original hole in the sheet metal.

Then take a needle nose pliers and pinch the edges of the rivet and push or pull it out of the hole.

That's how I remove locks from sheet metal - drilling through the rivets. Consider left below "before" and right "after."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:05 am:

I used a 1/4 air grinder from Harbour Freight Tools with a small stone. I ground off the head and used a small punch and knocked it out. I paid less than $10.00 for the 1/4 grinder. Pretty good for the price and has been very useful in a lot of ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

These are available from Langs, but I think they are really for the metal seat lid, not the wood one. Anyone know for sure?

seat hinge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

An older post showing seat hinges.

Appears a variation of hinges were used at different years and body makers.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/7861.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

The picture shown from Langs is of the hinges for the metal seat lids, only. But if you read the description, it says that they are for the wooden lids, only. There is a disconnect/mistake somewhere, the hinges shown in the photo are for the metal seat lids, not for the wooden lids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

I posted a question on Lang's site which asked:

The photo for part number SEAT-LH appears to be the hinge for the 1915-1920ish metal front seat lid but the caption says the hinges are for the 1913-1916 Wood front seat lid. See: https://www.modeltford.com/faq.aspx?prodid=SEAT-LH

Is it possible the picture is the wrong one or is it possibly the caption is wrong?

See old discussion on MTFCA forum at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/7861.html for photos of the hinges for both the wood seat and the metal seat lids. The current discussion that prompted the question is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/557425.html?1437689331

Thanks for all your support for so many years to our hobby!

Respectfully requested,

Hap Tucker l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

What size and material rivets should be used for the metal lids?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration