Rear axle question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rear axle question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 07:46 am:

When I pulled the bearing sleeves from the rear axle of my 1919 touring project I found 3 left hand sleeves and one right. I have no idea how long it has been like that, but I wonder if anyone else has ever seen that before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 08:07 am:

Wasn't until the mid teens that parts books list 2 left and 2 right, early part # was 2509 x 4, can't see it being a problem on the inner ones with oil/grease on them all the time, good seals on the outer, same thing. I pulled down a rear end not that long ago that had 2 drive shaft sleeves on the outer axle bearing, showed no ill effects for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 08:31 am:

I think folks used whatever they could get "back in the day."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Frank:

Since the drive shaft sleeve has on O.D. of 2.625" and not split - are you sure those were drive shaft sleeves? I don't see how they would ever fit into the rear end axle housings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

John,
That was an assumption on my part! as the sleeve was about the same length as the drive shaft one, I may still have them, now curiosity will make me look for it later!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration