1903 July 23

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1903 July 23
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

It was on this day in 1903 that the Ford Motor Company in Detroit sold its first car, a two-cylinder Model A. The Model A was painted red, with a seat that fit two people, and no roof. It reached 28 mph at top speed. The Ford Motor Company sold 2,000 Model As over the next two years, which was enough to make the company profitable. Five years later, Ford rolled out its Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

Neat info, now for how much did it sell (I know, the figure bears little to no relevance to today's dollar!).
BTW, 28 miles an hour?? That speed would take your breath away, man was not meant to travel that fast! (Well, OK, inside a railway car you could go faster than that, but outside???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

Some sources say it was $750, some say $850, and I found one that said $830, so I'll call it about $800. I didn't find a calculator that goes back to 1903, but I think 1913 would be pretty close. $800 in 1913 would be $19,283.88 today. I think by the early twenties you could get a Ford roadster for $230, which would be $3,209.75 today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

And you could not pay in installments. You needed the $20,000 up front, unless you could get a loan from a bank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

You couldn't pay in installments until 1924 and it was 5 bucks a week until it was paid for.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration