Adjusting cushion spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Adjusting cushion spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

I have just completed my first attempt at rebuilding coil units, and am now trying to make point adjustments before I put them on the HCCT. I understand that I need to adjust the cushion spring to .005", but the spring is resting right against the vibrator bridge. How do I go about making this adjustment to the initial .005"?
Thanks,
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Grab another bridge and start from there. If the cushion spring is not resting on the rivet there's nothing left to adjust.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Gary
Give me a call tomorrow after 11AM EST and I will coach you through the process.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 06:21 pm:

859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Thanks Ron, I'll call you tomorrow. By the way I do have the MTFCA CD no. 3. You did a very good job in it, but I just couldnot get that part.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:15 pm:

Here is another reference for coil point adjustment you may find of interest.

http://www.modeltecct.com/uploads/ECCT_Instructions_V8.pdf

See sections 4.4 and 4.4.7 for some illustrations of cushion spring adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Forgot section 4.5 on coil firing consistency.
Proper cushion spring adjustment is more involved then just making sure a Double Spark does not occur.

Improperly adjusted cushion spring tension can cause significant coil firing inconsistency that causes ignition timing variation and degraded engine performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:33 am:

Mike,
Thank you for the ECCT site. There is a lot of good info there.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:38 am:

Best information I have seen on line is here Gary:

http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/coil_current

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Defosse on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:50 am:

Thanks Royce, This is very interesting.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 08:23 am:

Instruction on 1913-1927 coil point adjustment is woefully deficient if it does not cover the critical importance of proper cushion spring tension adjustment in my experience.

There are 4 key variables typically associated with coil point adjustment; Point gap, Vibrator Spring Tension, Cushion Spring Tension and Cushion Spring Travel. Finding the correct balance between them to achieve the same firing time with good consistency, on all 4 coils, can be challenging, especially if you do not have a way to observe the effect of each adjustment.

Glad the information was of help.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration