Headlight headache

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Headlight headache
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Hurt on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

I'm in the process of putting together the headlight buckets. I researched the forum and found how the parts nest together. The problem I have found is not being able to turn the rim ring to lock position. Any tips for doing this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Is it one of the reproduction trim rings, or a stock one...and what year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Sometimes the pins are too long and will not seat into the lock position. If they are newer rims you may need to grind a little off the pins to get them to seat properly. Several vendors sell light rim tools to help you turn the ring to the proper lock position. I have used a piece of rubber inner tube or a large oil filter wrench to grip the outer ring and lock it into position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Push the rim inwards and turn it to the right. This can take a good deal of pressure on your part because you need to overcome the resistance caused by the glass lens and gasket. I have also had to take a pliers and bend the headlight grooves a little for the lens nubs to glide into place.
Don't give up. You'll get it.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Hurt on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

This is on a 23 touring. Ali original parts except the rope gasket, bulbs and sockets. They came apart hard but were rusty. The primer and paint should not cause that big of problem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Brian

Many times the bucket spring provides a bunch of tension. You want that to lock the rim on, the spring forces the reflector edge and cotton cord to the lens which is mounted in the rim.

You have to push rather hard to collapse the spring loops pushing back the reflector, as there has to be a gap between the reflector and the slot for the rim rivet post to engage.

Spring in bucket rim prior to fitting reflector.

The reflector edge has to be pushed back from the slot for the retaining rivet post.

If the rim rivet post gets hung up behind the reflector edge, that will prohibit the rivet post from locking to the bucket.

And this sketch provided by a forum poster shows the manner of twisting while pushing to remove a rim, reverse this to mount the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Slippery stuff is your best friend unless it is on the road surface!:-)

A little grease on the pins or slots helps.

sometimes the springs get hung up so I make sure the reflector assembly moves freely.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration