Tt rear end?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tt rear end?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 01:12 am:

OK got it apart some questions
OK sleeves do the slot V's point up or down
Worm sleeve to drive shaft coupler one end has a portion turned down does that end point to the wormost
Also on my previous axel there was a shim at the rear cap if memory serves but this one doesn't
When assembling the difference halves and ring the bolts are keyed or wire tide and how tight when I took them out they were move able in rotation not side to side
And lastly any thought on putting in weep holes I have seen a few reareds with

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 01:42 am:

Also help finding thread earlier this year or last on gears for Tt
I try ed the search but came up short

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:10 am:

Bob, here are some answers that may help you:

- Think of the v-slots as arrows. They should point in the direction of forward travel. If you have original sleeves, install them so that the bump sits in the outer hole and the inner hole lines up with the grease fitting. If you have new ones you will have to add these features. Look closely inside of your axle housing and you will likely see where the original notch was located.

- The turned down end of the coupler goes toward the rear. This rides in the felt seal.

- I've never seen a shimmed rear cap in the handful of rears that I've disassembled. If your thrust bearings and rear plate are in good condition then you shouldn't need one. Only a gasket should be needed.

- The ring gear nuts should be cotter pinned. I don't know that there is a torque specification for them so I just snugged mine up. It seems that over time they loosen up a little and can start to rotate.

- I'm not familiar with the weep holes. Are you talking about a vent? If so, you don't need one as these rears aren't very well sealed up at the drive shaft end so they can breath a little.

Below is the TT gear thread from last year.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/519532.html?1424348101

(Message edited by JunkyJud on July 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 10:13 am:

A weep hole is a 1/4 to 3/8 hole drilled in the bottom of the axel housing to let gear lube drip out so it wont reach the rear brakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 10:19 am:

I have seen weep or drain holes in TT and T rear axles. Some have been plugged with corks and a few have had the flip top oilers (pn 2715D) placed into the holes to keep out the road dirt.

I have no idea how often the axle tubes were drained back in the day.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration