Top bows for a1913 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Top bows for a1913 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Jackson on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 08:52 am:

I am installing the roof bows for my 13 . Which bow goes where ? The bow legs are approx. 6.5,8.5and 9.5" in length . The iron lengths are approx. 19,24 and 26" in length . Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 11:06 am:

Brian, See if this post helps you. Remember, one bow is mounted on another.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/147529.html?1277948852

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 11:19 am:

I don't see how the top installation for a '25 would be of much help for a '13! I also noticed on the '25 pictures that the slit in front is on top of the front bow. It should be tucked under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Here are new 13 roadster bows sitting upside down on a table. The bow to the left is the front bow. The bow to the right is the back bow. And the center bow is..... you guessed it. Hope this helps.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Brian,

I have attached a diagram of what I believe is a 1915/16. Setting the length of the front wood bow depends on which windshield you have and how the stanchion is set on the 1913 and 1914 cars. The windshield top section should be vertical when setting the front bow length for overhang.

Maybe someone will chime in and confirm your top socket lengths are correct for the year.

There are a lot of very good old threads on tops and how they are put on. I found that it was a fairly easy project if your sockets and bows are set correctly to get the proper profile.

The kits come with everything except pads for the top. I would not top a car without new pads.

The rear roll-up window panel, and window straps, is included and the only other hardware will be the Murphy fasteners along the tack rail. The female part of the fastener along the tack rail should already be placed in the three piece rear curtain.

The leather straps and loops are also needed to attach the top front and rear.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Still needed -- illustration of 1913 top bows, top sockets, and dimensions for a runabout. Anyone know where one is?

For Ken,

Your illustration is helpful and it is for the 1915-1922 style tops. It was published in several places -- but Murray Fahnestock's book "The Model T Ford Owner" on page 155 is the places I usually find it at. One of the postings has it listed as public domain. It is a good illustration -- but hopefully someone will have the same thing for a 1913 runabout. I checked my files I do not have that one yet.

For Brian,

Do you have the original top sockets that fit the car, reproduction top sockets or are you also asking about how to tell if you have the correct top sockets?

The posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/244956.html?1320526950 has a great illustration/photos for shaping the ends of the bows to fit into the oval top sockets. It also addresses original as well as replacement top sockets.

And they use a 1913 for the discussion at the Tulsa Model T Ford Club for how to install a runabout top please see: http://mtfctulsa.com/Tech/roadster_top.htm

Touring top but good information on installing: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/229470.html?1313853765

Also the Model T Ford Restoration Handbook by Leslie R. Henry (published by Clymer in the past) has a good article on cutting and installing a touring top on pages 86 to 95 and how to make the top boot on page 96. It is available from the vendors as well as many of the local clubs have a library you may borrow books from.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration