1924-27 TT C-Cab Side Curtains

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1924-27 TT C-Cab Side Curtains
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 09:16 am:

The current project is trying to resurrect and reproduce the side curtains for a production 1924-27 TT C-Cab. When I got the body 40 years ago it included a passenger’s-side curtain which I have preserved (more or less) to eventually reproduce and install. The curtain is complete with steel tube frame and most of the fabric…the window material is gone. But all of the snaps and details are there….minus the flap that covers the hand opening. It got lost somewhere along the way.
I find that Lang’s offers the drawings and I have ordered them, however they have to be back ordered and the delivery date is uncertain, if ever. Perhaps someone has made curtains from such drawings or has experience with making curtains.
I have found earlier Forum threads that deal with the curtains and stowage details , but not sure they cover everything:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/478575.html?1410983044
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/350488.html?1365356080
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/431211.html?1395113786
The above links do show some installations and some details, but I need more details on the fabrication.
I would appreciate any drawings, photos or current details on your efforts to replicate the curtains.
Original curtain
Original
curtain 2
40 years later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

John, mine were done from an old remnant not much different than yours. Want measurements and more photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 08:12 am:

Tony,
That would be great if I could get your drawings/dimensions and more photos. I saw your thread and photos.
Thanks,
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 11:05 am:

John, from your pic, it looks like that's a flap at the top that goes on the C Cab roof, the "back" part separate from the curtain, I'm assuming so the curtain can open with the door? My C Cab is a long ways away from being together, about 3 projects "down the road" (after the house project!), but I'm still in the "gathering info" mode. I have none of the wood roof structure either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 11:21 am:

David,
The *flap* connects to two fasteners on the inside of the wooden upper front structure. It does open with the door. The links I posted all talk about the upper roof structure and photos of how the fasteners work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Great post! Where would you get this kind of information except here? One thing I've noticed on a lot of C- cabs, is they have the wrong upper windshield frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

Yep, I just showed that to a friend who has the wrong one on his body, but he has the right one in his shed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

John,
I finally got to those links and saved a LOT of photos, don't know how I missed that thread before. THANKS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

John maybe we should talk first. I assume you have both iron frames? Send me a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

John,

in your photo above I see a rectangular piece that is not on my C Cab curtains. I believe that piece is permanently installed on my C Cab as a 4 or 5 inch 'flap' between the inside front wood part of the top and the top of my windshield? It is not attached to the top of my windshield, but rather just hangs down inside the top of the windshield. I have never removed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

I have a remnant of one of my original curtains that has the same flap as John's. If I remember correctly, it is riveted on to the main part of the curtain and it has the grommet to attach it to the upper windshield area. I will post a picture of it when I dig it out.

I did get a set of the drawings from the vendor. They are rather faint but that flap does appear to be illustrated the way it is assembled on my curtain piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 02:26 pm:

Anthony, I didn't mention it but I also have the permanent flap that is on your truck. The flap on the side curtain overlaps with the permanent flap to create more of a seal at the corner of the roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Here are a few pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Thanks, I'll check mine out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:01 am:

Do you install the curtains completely inside or outside the C Cab?

See my installation pictures here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/350488.html?1365356080

I may have them installed wrong on the rear C of the curtain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 07:43 am:

Anthony, I'm only guessing but I believe that yours are installed correctly. Putting them on the outside will allow opening and closing of the door.

In regards to the extra flap that is missing from your curtains, I have the one from my driver's side curtain that is completely detached (it's actually the only piece of the other curtain that I have). If you want I can get some good measurements and photos of it alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Okay, please post them when you can.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:02 pm:

Here are some photos and measurements of the side flap. The drawings that I have show this piece to be 13" long x 3 1/2" wide. You can see that this one is about 12 1/4" long x 4" wide. I guess that it could have changed size over time but it wouldn't surprise me if this was made this size when new.

The flap is made of two pieces of material put together.

A good cleaning showed a lot of the original grain and it matches closely with my roof material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Thanks everyone for contributing to the development of more side curtain details and information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 05:57 am:

Thanks again for the 'side flap' info. I'm missing those two 'side flaps'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 06:01 am:

Thanks to Anthony Marino I now better understand how the curtains are stowed in the ceiling. The two holes in the wooden top section provide a locating/support point for the curtain frame. Those are the frame points which engage the holes on the top of the doors.
curtain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 06:15 am:

Be careful though. Those curtains in the ceiling fall easily because the C Cab vibrates so much when driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:30 am:

When making new side curtains, the original pattern is great, and so is the print, but I suggest making paper patterns first. That way you can fit the paper to the common sense fasteners, and if it is off some, all you have to do is tape it up an re-punch the hole until you get it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 10:40 am:

When making new side curtains, the original pattern is great, and so is the print, but I suggest making paper patterns first. That way you can fit the paper to the common sense fasteners, and if it is off some, all you have to do is tape it up an re-punch the hole until you get it right.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration