High gear clutch fingers setting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: High gear clutch fingers setting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

i had some problems with the high gear and so i tried to adjust the clutch fingers. i used the clutch gap, bat there is to much space.
so i have to change the spring (probably a weak spring)or what should i do at first???
and is it possible to change the spring with the engine in the car?
spring compressor - where to buy for the change?

(Message edited by martin on July 24, 2015)

(Message edited by martin on July 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Friday, July 24, 2015 - 02:23 pm:

My clutch was slipping from time to time. Fresh rebuild, new spring, used discs. It was suggested to add a cup or so of ATF to the oil. Slipping gone.
I sure would hate to try to replace the spring in the car. But I have heard it can be done, but.......
With the engine nose down on a stand, with the pan off, we use a 2 x 4 about the width of the diameter of the flywheel with a hole drilled in it to fit over the shaft. We use a couple of bar clamps to compress the spring, from the 2 x 4 to the flywheel. It does not take much force to compress it, just a little more than you can do by hand. The last spring we put in there were three of us, so two of us hung on the 2 x 4 while the third put the pin in

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration