Crank/Flange access

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Crank/Flange access
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joel Harris on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Gents,

Total Newb question…they say the only dumb question is the one not asked….

So I have not taken apart a T motor in 35 years…
I cannot figure out how to remove the 4 bolts that hold the Flywheel to the crank flange?

This motor has an A bottom end and access with anything short of an open end on the four flange bolts is very limited. I even loosed the rear main cap but cannot remove it because the flywheel magnets are in the way

I don't recall my old stock T project from 30 years ago having an access issue with this. I assume it is because of the A mod.

Any suggestions or tips for removing them is appreciated.

Photos attached:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Get a "low cost" china 11/16" ? wrench and bend it to fit in behind the bearing cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

I am in the middle of this issue on my rebuild (26 Tudor) The only way I can get them off is to move the crank around so that one bolt is in the middle between the crank main and the side of the block. If you get it just in the right position, you should be able to put an 11/16 socket on it using a 3/8" socket and an extension. (At least it worked for me) I would then move the crank again until the next bolt was in position and so forth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Joel. I took the socket and thinned it up in my lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

He is using the larger main caps for the Model A (A mod)crank and may not be able to get socket even if it's ground down or not in there. 11/16 bent open end wrench or an original might be his only option unless someone else that has done the conversion chimes in with a better idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

Mark has the right idea. The thick rear main cap will further restrict access to an already tight area. Once that cap is off, I would be grinding a relief in it so that a socket or ring spanner can be used. I have a specially bent ring spanner to access those bolts. Even with that, The flywheel has to be turned and the bolts removed one at a time, with the bolt at 12 o'clock.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Ring Spanner - is that the same as a Box End Wrench?

wrench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Can you get a universal joint socket to fit on the bolts?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:08 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/459673.html?1404828171

This post has hints on making a special wrench for those bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joel Harris on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:41 am:

Thanks to all, I will get working on this

Joel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 01:33 am:

Mark, what you show clearly has rings on the end. They look nothing like any box I have seen.

Allan, with tongue in cheek, down under,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 07:09 am:

K Barrier turned our "Magneto University" group on to the Blackhawk 4422 wrench that made the bolt removal easy. You must simply rotate the flywheel so that the wrench/bolt will clear the main bearing assy.

Blackhawk 4422

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Allan, I agree, the down under name for the tool is more descriptive. :-)

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about wrenches (spanners):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:07 am:

That Blackhawk wrench must be discontinued as I had trouble finding it. But I just scored an original 5z210 wrench for $20 shipped off of T-Bay.

I will still keep an eye out for the Blackhawk though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

the original Ford tool works very well. I have a good selection of tools and I could not find a single one to do the job well. Looked through my original Ford wenches and found one that fits perfect and does the job first rate :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration