Long Beach Clup Swap Notables

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Long Beach Clup Swap Notables
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Bill Harris and Larry Blair of "Tin Shed"

Fast Frank Harris holding court

Humble Howard Ginrich

Mike Spazianno (left) Jodu/Martin Vowell
I probably spelled Mike's name wrong ,Just like last time.Why should this time be any different ?

After a long day that started at 4:00 AM for me, Martin/Jodi and I got down to the Meet at 12:30. After that we drove to Larry Smith's place and saw some of his special cars and Martin got some pics of Original RM Brake that he'll be making drawings of and post here. After a long day we were looking a little fatigued

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Whoops !!! Left out "Fast Frank Harris Holding Court" out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:22 am:

It's surprising how tired one can get just riding in a Model T for that distance, never mind driving one...I bet you're pretty tired too George. Once we got into the Saturn, Jodi slept all the way home (wish you would've said I was grimacing...I didn't know looked that bad).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:53 am:

Yeh I was a little pooped out , but nothing that two cups O joe won't fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 01:44 pm:

It was a good swap meet, Got to see a lot of old friends, and I do mean old! But I didn't find a thing I couldn't live without. Didn't buy a thing but had lots of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

where are all the people????? i went 35 years ago there were a few more then !!! i hope they have bath rooms now only port a pots back then ha ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

would be nice to see some faces in those photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

My first Long Beach Swap was the '75 meet at Hamilton (Dust) Bowl. I was 14 and I thought I was in Heaven. My Dad and I went and walked all day. Went home, took a shower, and went back that night. It was absolutely unforgettable. The atmosphere has yet to be duplicated at any meet I've been to-to date.

Then came the rains in late July '77, and that was the end of that location for a swap meet. Hamilton Bowl was calf-deep in water two days before the meet. You see, Hamilton Bowl served two purposes for the City of Long Beach. During the Summer, it was the baseball field for Long Beach City College. During the Winter, it served as a rainwater runoff catch basin.

Since So. Cal. rarely saw any measurable rainfall during the Summer, it was no big deal. They found a new location for the meet in two days. That's when it moved to the North parking lot at Cal. State Long Beach.

To answer Charlie's question, 35 years ago, eBay, Craig's List, Etsey, and the internet didn't exist. There was no once-a-month Vintage and Collectable Swap Meet at Veterans Memorial Stadium. The High Performance swap was just getting off the ground at Orange County International Raceway and George Cross was still working for the Post Office.

In 1978, the Long Beach Model T Club sold over 500 spaces to vendors at Long Beach State. Sadly, we will never see this again-ever. If you think they will, please re-read my paragraph above.

But, just to show some things NEVER change, there are still only porta-pottys at the meet. Only now, there are little had wash stations next to them. Gotta be sanitary! I remember the permanent rest rooms at the Dust Bowl. They were at the top of the hill on the inside of the chain-link fence. When they would back up and overflow, the "water" would cascade down the stairs leading up to the johns. Thus the stairs to the johns were nick-named Hamilton Falls.

Thank you Jeff Hood, Jim Clift, John Craig, Stan Fuller, and everyone else that puts this meet together and keeps it running so that another 14 year old kid from Bellflower can have the experience I had. Running that meet is certainly no cakewalk. "Been there-Done that!" Don't want to do it again.

I remember returning a call to someone that wanted info. for the meet. I didn't recognize the area code. So I asked "Say, where are you calling from?" He replied "Honolulu, Hawaii." I opened my next phone bill with great hesitation.

George, close enough. You did a lot better than last time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Yeah Mike, only added an extra "N" this time

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration