I'm not buying

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I'm not buying
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Just saw an ad for a fiber timing gear for sale. Nope. I've already been down that road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:30 am:

I have run them for about 40 years in my '27 and 15 years in my '13. I admit that I am a "stickler" about getting perfect gear mesh of my timing gears, so my engines are quiet and reliable!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:51 am:

Martin Vowelland I were talking with taking with Larry Blair about these and said the Older ones from back in the day were fairly reliable. That newer ones (time frame ??) the composite was poor and are only good for emergency back up while on tour. Yes , generators seem to chew 'em up. Not to much trouble on non generator cars, but your results may very.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 01:26 am:

A lot depend on if they are macerated or laminated. The macerated are short fibers that are compressed with a glue to hold them together and laminated are sheets of woven fabric that are glued and compressed. The gear that Steve shows looks like a macerated one. Model A's which are under more stress, the laminated ones work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 01:54 am:

I have had fiber timing gears let go on model T and model A Fords and a couple of early V8 Fords as well as Chevrolet 6 and two Volvos and. Toyota.
I have also replaced the chain and fiber or plastic toothed cam sprockets on several late model 360 Chryslers.
I did a Mustang ii V8 that broke the plastic cam gear and it bent a few valves.
A lot of work and a lot of expense
I never put any engine back together without an all metal gear or sprocket.
I don't consider solid metal sprockets or gears noisy, although some can be heard, but not from the driver's seat.
I prefer a noises engine over one that won't run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 05:54 am:

Some of the Korean cars were using fibre gears in their Diffs a few years back with horrendous results.
Probably work well enough in Countries were they drive them for 50,000km and then crush them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:38 am:

While we are strolling down this road, what are the reviews on the newer nylon gears (I think they are nylon). How do they hold up with generator engines?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:23 am:

I had one on my '15 for about 1000 miles. No generator, freshly rebuilt engine, new everything. It looked like the one in Steve's picture when it failed. Never again.

Right now I have the following timing gears all working fine:
White nylon 1912 touring 4500 miles
Bronze 1915 touring 22,000 miles
Aluminum 1914 Touring 40,000 miles
Original straight cut cast iron 1917 runabout 5500 miles
Original angle cut cast iron 1923 touring (no telling how many miles)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:25 am:

By the way the only one of my cars with charging provisions on the engine is my '23. The generator was failed when I got it and the replacement brand new alternator didn't work brand new out of the box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:30 am:

I am sure glad I stayed with my intuition and stayed with steel timing and motor gears on a 1918 we are rebuilding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:19 am:

more than half is ok.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration