21"Hayes Split Rim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 21"Hayes Split Rim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thurman on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Would anyone know where I could get a good 21" Hayes split rim, I need one for a 25 chevy with the solid disc wheel . I would really appreciate any help as at wits end trying to locate one !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Do you have some friends that need one also???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NOS-Hayes-Wood-Wooden-Spoke-Wheels-Five-21-x-4-Split-R ims-Rare-Find-/301693956298?hash=item463e5c70ca&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

Bill, what width is your rim? KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Bill,

Iím sure some folks on the forum may have a rim. You could also order one from Model T Haven they have an e-bay store but they have lots of additional parts see Markís store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Model-T-Haven-Inc/ Also a reproduction FORD not Chevy 21 inch rim is available new from the vendors see: https://www.modeltford.com/item/2845SR.aspx

BUTÖ. I donít recall the Chevy disc wheels using a Hayes rim. Of course I donít have a Chevy with disc wheels so perhaps they did? Key thing to point out is that the Chevy disc wheels used different size 21 inch rims depending on what year the wheels came on a Chevy. Additionally other makes of cars used similar wheels. From the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/226773.html
A similar question was asked: Photos and more details are at that posting:

+++++++++++REPOSTED:
By Marc H Johnson on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 12:49 pm:
I have three different styles of split rims with the Chevy Disc Wheels my Speedster. One is Model T with the bolt lugs.
What should the original ones look like?????
I need a few more also.
Thanks
Marc
By Donald Hagstrom on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 08:37 pm:
Marc, these are '26-'27 Chevrolet 21" split rims from my speedster. Keep in mind the '28 and later 21" split rims were a little wider to accomodate a 5.25 x 21 tire. The 26/27 rims were a little narrower than the 28's to accomodate the 4.00/4.50 x 21 tires.

Look at the close up of the split rim and you will see the latching mechanism held by a cotter pin and a small nipple to the lower right. Use these identifiers to confirm a Chevrolet rim.

The Chevrolet rims were produced and patented by the Perlman Rim Co. in 1913. Patent No. 1052270. General Motors bought Perlman in approx. 1919. GM also purchased Jaxon Steel Corp. about the same time.

Shown in the close up is the Jaxon wheel bolt, clamp and nut. Note the flattened portion of the head on the bolt which is classic Jaxon. The clamps have Jaxon cast into them.

++++++++++++++++

Recommend you determine what type of rim will properly fit your wheels.

See also:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/148328.html?1278076240

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/68729.html?1223750477

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/13858.html?1146489257

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thurman on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 04:23 pm:

The rim is 3 5/16 from outside rim to outside , Iam new to this car and had a flat, took it to someone who said they could change it and they sprung it till it's ruined , will be doing it myself from now on , anyway it has the bolt latch and has the one tab that is slotted and looked exactly like a Hayes is the reason I thought it was . I REALLY appreciate the help !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thurman on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

The rims on the ebay listing are exactly like mine, but I only need one so hate to buy four, will a model t rim fit my wheels and what would have to be changed , my valve stem is right next to the latch and split

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thurman on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

I did call model t haven and he said he didn't think he had anything that would work, thanks for the tip though

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

I had a 25 chev a few years back and recall that the Ford T rim can be used with a very minor mod to the location of the tab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

Bill I am running two chevy rims on my 24 T now. I drilled new holes in the fellies rather than modify the rims. Chevy had a better idea on theirs as the lock tab is out of the way of the valve stem when collapsing the rim for a tire change. Don't see any reason you can't use a model t rim in the same fashion. I stuck a plastic plug in the old hole, no one knows the difference unless I tell them. Any way I will look and see if I have another. Save your bent rim and you may be able to tweak it back out later. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 07:50 pm:

Bill, I had a problem with Hayes rims on 21" wire wheels for T's. The felloe on these is rolled out on the outer edge. The Hayes rims fit OK but they had fitted a Ford rim to one wheel and when the rim bolts were done up, it sprung over the outside lip and was there to stay. The only way to remove it was to cut the tyre off first. This may/may not apply to you, but may It may prevent some headaches.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thurman on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Thanks for the replies !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Bill, Ill try and remember to look tomorrow, but I think I have a nice chevy 21 inch rim. One telltale sign of a chevy wheel is that one of the lugs will be notched. The main issue I ran into when trying to find wheels for a chevy disc set I was putting together for a future speedster project is the lugs. If you look closely at the lugs you will see they have a taper or wedge shape. The wedge shaped area is thicker on the chevy rim (I think my memory is correct on chevy being the thicker one) I remember that the chevy rim, when installed on a ford wheel will not pull all the way into position. And If memory serves me correctly, when you put a ford rim on a chevy wheel the taper area of the lugs do not make contact. The four lugs tapered area is the only real point of contact to carry the load. When fitting correctly the inside outer diameter of the rim is also mated up to the outer diameter of the wheel. And as mentioned above, the valve stem hole is in a different location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thurman on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 06:56 am:

Donnie I appreciate that very much !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Bill, I looked at my wheels today. I have a 21 inch chevy split rim but it is only fair condition. The one I said was a good wheel turned out to be a 23 inch rim (for 30 inch straight side tire) Ill post a few pics of Chevy vs Ford lugs. The pic of the two rims laying together shows the 21 inch in the center and the 23 inch over it. If you are interested in the fair condition wheel, send me a PM message or e-mail dobro (at) artelco.com

The following three pics show a Ford wheels lugs. Notice there is no wedge or ramp inside the lug.

z2

z3

z4

The next pictures are of a chevy wheels lugs. Notice the wedge or ramp inside the lugs and also the notch cut into one of the lugs.

z5

z6

z7

This picture is of the 21 inch chevy wheel inside the 23 inch rim for straight side tires.

z1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

Bill, here is another Chevy rim. Let me know if you are interested in it. I don't know if it is any better than Donnie's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thurman on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:02 am:

Thanks to a member I have been able to locate a good rim , I really appreciate this forum as it amazes me how many good people are on here and willing to help ! I never got one reply on the antique Chevy forum. Thanks everyone and I will be a regular on here this is a great site !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Bill, glad you found a rim. If you want the one I show above for a spare or ?? (inside the 23 inch rim). You can have it for postage. This Forum also amazes me. No matter what the question, it is usually answered very quickly, by several people, and 99 percent of the time the answers are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thurman on Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Donnie, thank you for your offer and I would gladly do that!!! Just pm me with the total and your address and I will get it out to you , thanks SO much for your kindness !! Bill Thuman

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration