Radiator apron help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Radiator apron help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

I have a 24 T and I am trying to install a new lower rad apron . It`s a new aftermarket one that will probably fit like the shirt on a hogs back no matter what I do. my question is , should the apron have a small hole and install over the rad stud or a large hole and install over the thimble under the shell ? thanks . Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

It should fit over the stud and the vertical wing between the frame and the fender iron. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Thanks Keith. I just found a picture of an original apron and my aftermarket does not have the tab on the side for mounting it to the front bolt on the fender iron just the upper flap that needs bent over . I looked high and low for a used one with no luck, guess I`ll need to weld a side tab to the one I have. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Ken, I have never found a used apron which still had the side piece which is jammed between the frame and the mudguard stay intact. They were cut off for a reason. It makes them difficult to fit/remove when necessary. I have three cars with this apron, all fitted with just the top hole held in place by the radiator mounting stud.

Others may do it differently.

Alan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

My original apron has slots, not holes. I thought that was the way they were made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 04:29 am:

David, slots would help, but you still have to slacken off the 3 mudguard stay bolts. To do that, you would probably have to remove the radiator to give easy access to those bolts. You might even have to remove the radiator mounting studs. Maybe that is why most of the aprons no longer have the side pieces.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 07:03 am:

Thanks for the tips guys , I just ordered an original 24/25 type from Langs today and I will keep in mind about the addition of slots and the possibility of the side removal for future work . I think the new aftermarket apron I got at Hershey last year is a 26/27 . Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Unless they have come out with a good reproduction recently, you are not going to find one like Ford made. First of all, on the back side where the crank goes through, there is a sleeve that is spot welded to the apron. Next, the overall appearance of the front is slightly convex, whereas the repros don't have that look.
When I restored my car I kept buying originals until I found a decent one, and welded up all the cracks and bad spots until I got it right. Nothing like original parts. And by the way the apron lays on top of the frame, and the side tabs do go under the fender irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

'23 Touring. The one I removed is on top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

The upper photo appears to be an original, but is a 1926-7 apron. Snyder makes a very nice 26-7, but for some reason they failed to drill the hole for the screw. Why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:04 am:

Yes Larry, The Snyders 26-27 apron is good as far as the convex detail goes. I wish they would make the earlier one. The repo's are too flat and don't look right. You can tell what they are from a mile away.

Regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:48 am:

Apron? What apron?

MY 19 doesn't have one.
Does that mean she won't go into the kitchen? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 04:40 am:

Fred, your car does have an apron. It's just a little more revealing!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Can't touch that!
:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration