1927 Mag post won't unscrew easily

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1927 Mag post won't unscrew easily
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Probst on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

I tried removing my mag post today to inspect it. I'm not having any trouble but I wanted to inspect it anyway.

The post unscrewed part of the way but appears to be "caught" on something and won't unscrew easily. It keeps "springing" back clockwise with every turn of the wrench. I decided not to force it and I screwed it back in (for now).

Could this be band lint tangled around it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

Needle may be stuck in the coil ring and the spring is trying to turn it back is the only thing that comes to mind. Lint might give you resistance, but I don't think it would make the post screw back in. If you have a fiber optic scope you might be able to see what is going on through the transmission cover. Hopefully she ran OK on Magneto after putting the post back in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Wait until other service items makes it necessary to lift the hogshead, then you'll free the spring from the solder blob without having to unscrew it - if the spring still gets destroyed when lifting the hogshead, there are new repros available.

But for now it seems like if it isn't broken you don't have to fix it - just yet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Probst on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Yes. Mag is indeed still working. I will leave it alone for now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration