Leak in Block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Leak in Block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

I found my 1923 rear coolant hole sealed shut in the block and cylinder head. It must have leaked for a while, as the rear valve seat and manifold holes were rusted. The hole is pretty darn close to the edge of the block, too. I drilled it out. Could I use epoxy or the like to stop the leak?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

That exhaust seat looks pretty bad. Is it actually sealing? Honestly, the whole block surface looks way too bad to even get a head gasket to seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

I think I got the exhaust seat to where it will work using Neway cutters. You can see the oxidation around the valve, but it doesn't go all the way to the edge. Is there some way to fill that in?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Maybe you can thread the hole, plug it with a bolt with high temp loctite, cut the bolt as close to the surface as you can and sand it flat with sand paper / emery paper on a plane piece of steel. You may have to temporary remove the valves to plane the whole surface as good as you would like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

So you're saying I should seal the hole? Won't that impair cooling efficiency?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Excuse me, i misunderstood the question - I thought you had an extra hole in the block that shouldn't be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

I had rust in the rear area of the deck surface on the block I'm building now.
I told the company that bored the cylinders to plane the deck surface too, but I was a bit pissed off when I picked it up and there still wasn't a full sealing surface to the rear of the rear water passage to the head.
No problem said the machinist, just fill it up with epoxi and it'll seal, he said. For some reason he didn't want to go deeper with the decking.

Well, he has built more engines than me, so maybe he's right..?
I've cleaned the uneven surface, filled with epoxi ("chemical metal") and filed it plane as good as I could with sand paper on a plane piece of steel - the final test in use hasn't been done yet, waiting for more parts..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

I would pull it down and have the block surfaced then it would all be true again. But if you do not want to do all that you could drill and tap the steam hole to seal it for now, one will not hurt the cooling, there is plenty of T's running around with them rusted shut and people do not know it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration