Old Photo - Early Model T With Junior Behind The Wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Early Model T With Junior Behind The Wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:44 am:

That is a wonderful photo. Great detail of the Touring and Nice expressions on the faces.

Thank you Jay

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

very nice picture, love it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

I'll bet that jaunty little fellow was driving a speedster when he got big enough to drive his own Ford!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Amazing how such little kids always seem to know what that steering wheel is all about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

An early 1910 or a late 1909 with lipped fenders. My 1910 is a May build. I run three their E&J side lights along with Model 15 J Brown headlights. The head lights on this T are probably E&Js. By the way at the Elswprth WIS. swap meet yesterday I bought an original 1910 style hub cap for one dollar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 08:19 pm:

Darel: I don't know when 'late 1909' began. My 1909, 31XX, has original lipped fenders, but I don't consider mine a late 1909. My car also has the same side lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Very interesting filler board, brackets, windscreen and spare tyre support arm
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

Nice detailed photo. The first thing that caught my attention was the unusual windshield. It's not a Mezger or Rands the other option would be Troy, but I believe they had a wood frame. The other interesting detail are the brackets holding the windshield to the filler board. Also the brackets holding the filler board to the top of the dashboard are not the typical brackets seen on the 1909-1912 models. Note too that the windshield halves are of equal size more commonly seen on the 1911-1912 models.
The original roll down windscreen is still mounted under the front top bow. That would have been the standard practice at the time to keep the original windscreen that came with the top even if a windshield assembly had been added to the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Alan and I were thinking the same thing at the same time, I guess I type slower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

My car left the factory without a windshield, top, headlights and speedometer. From what I have read, many of the early cars were sold without these accessories. The windshield on the car pictured may well have been added later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

you guys picked up all the details, but none of you noticed she has a Chocolate Cake on her head!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Anyone know where the license plate calls from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

It's actually a brass Troy windshield.

My father's 1910 IHC Model F roadster was originally equipped with one.

It would be greatly appreciated if the original poster would provide the source of the photo. I presume it was harvested from the internet - perhaps eBay?

Pair of 1910 IHC Model F roadsters with Troy windshields:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

License plate is an Indiana pre-state. The owner was responsible for creating the plate. The first state issued plate was 1913.

It's odd because the State of Indiana required a plate to be displayed on the rear of the car.

The alpha-numeric number on the plate is the same as the number on the state issued dashboard disc that the owner received when the car was registered.

http://www.in.gov/bmv/2825.htm

http://www.leatherlicenseplates.com/Indiana.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

I had thought these filler board brackets were strange. They are a similar bolt pattern to the one Jay showed us. This car was on the Jackson MTFCA Tour a few years ago and is a very original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

Erik J. Thanks for the ID on the Troy windshield. That's the way we all learn about these cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:47 pm:

Here's a hinge from a brass Troy windshield - it's in the upright position. Note the prong pointing down - if you look at the Ford touring driver's side hinge, you can see the prong pointing up.

(This is actually a passenger side hinge that belongs do my dad but I flipped it so it appears as a driver's side hinge so you can compare it to the Model T photo.)

troy hinge.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:07 am:

Glad to see you posting comments Phil Lawrence! You certainly know early Ts better than I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 06:46 am:

Looks like a Troy windshield could suddenly flip back if driving too fast with the windshield up? (Maybe only a problem if trailering on a open trailer..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:52 am:

I doubt it would flip back.

Troy Windshields are very substantial and high quality windshields.

The bracket I posted was from a windshield that had sat outside for many years. The spring clip is corroded so it has become very thin - you can see variations in the thickness in the photo. It is also bent so it is spread out. Normally, it would be very tight against the prong. Also, the prong is worn on one side.

On other examples I have personally seen the clip is very heavy and is very tight and windshield is very secure when in the upright position.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration