OT, how to make paint look old.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT, how to make paint look old.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

I want to paint numbers on my rusty T hood. I believe I will brush on a house paint for its texture. I want to use some sort of a white but make it look 80 years old. Worn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Other may know more than me but I would not use house paint because it slowly washes off and leaves streaks but that might be what you want.

Mix some dirt with it, let it dry, and then rub it so the dirt shows through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

I have a weird comment but after spending the summer stripping and painting my house, I think if you can apply heat slowly with a heat gun you can really make those letters look worn. It'll bubble up and crisp up the edges.... Just a thought

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Just try light sanding when it's dry. Set up a test section if you want and just experiment away! I have seen the sanding bit done. It was a wood sign but it sure aged it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott hohensee on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

use 1 shot lettering enamel or in a pinch rustolium paint will work. mix it 100% with flattening past, and then about 50% with clear 1 shot. then paint your numbers, they will come out somewhat translucent and faded looking . then after they dry for a few days rub them with fine steel wool to complete the look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

I don't suppose your willing to paint the numbers then just wait 80 years? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

interesting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott hohensee on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

here's one I did using that methodfaded letters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Scott, that is a brush on paint? I like it. The photo helps explain the process. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Paint the numbers with good auto type paint. Wait for it to dry, about 3 months then take )) steel wool and lightly scrub over the numbers. It will come out period correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Paint the numbers with good auto type paint. Wait for it to dry, about 3 months then take 00 steel wool and lightly scrub over the numbers. It will come out period correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Use model railroad weatheredain't the litely wet sand it the Matt clear it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Yep, Find a Model Railroad guy to help you weather it. Its not hard to do and its not very hard to find a Model Railroad guy in a T club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 02:00 am:

Paint it and wait 80 years
You can't argue with logic like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

Here is a good article on the subject.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/1007clt-lettering-1929-ford-truck/

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration