Montana 500 secret of speed ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Montana 500 secret of speed ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

"All V-Ray Electrodes are Meteor and..."

Note the capital "M" used for the word "meteor". So "Meteor" is a brand name not the material of the electrodes????

Think I prefer the more tasteful Brit plug ads of the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Constantine Nice pictures of spark plugs...

My first thought for a speed secret was a big hill, but everyone would use it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

Rats! I hate it when one of my secrets gets let out of the bag. :-)

Actually the plugs I use are multiple electrode NGK HD-20's.

One of the MT 500 drivers uses Bosch four electrode plugs that are much like the plugs above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 01:39 am:

Just what you need for coils that double spark !!!!

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 04:59 am:

To the very top of Mt McKinley all the way in high gear with these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 07:41 am:

Multiple electrodes does not give you any additional spark. The spark only passes from one electrode to ground. Which ever one is closest to ground is the path of "least resistance".

There have always been outrageous claims made for multiple electrode plugs. The true story is that when one electrode wears enough to be shorter than another, the electrode that is closest to ground will provide the electrical path that is used.

I can't imagine a plug wearing appreciably in a 500 mile race so Tom has not any advantage that is based in reality concerning the use of more expensive plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:26 am:

The theory goes that if the electrodes are nearly the same length, the plug will fire the electrode with the least resistance. All things being otherwise equal, the coldest electrode will fire. Temperature disparity between the center terminal and the outer electrode (the ground) increases thermionic emission, which gives a better spark. If you have a spark plug tester with a way to check things visually, you can see this in action. The plug fires one electrode for a while, when that electrode get hot, it switches to another and so on.

Seems like an advantage to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration