Question for the Swedes - Scania-Vabis

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question for the Swedes - Scania-Vabis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 12:00 am:

I have a Scania-Vabis cloisonne emblem. It measures 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

I am trying to pinpoint the year(s) for which this badge is correct and if it is for an automobile and/or truck.

Tack så mycket.

Erik "3/4 Swede" in Minneapolis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 12:05 am:

Gee - I never actually posted a question.

Does anyone know what years to which this badge corresponds and is it for a automobile and/or truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 05:20 am:

Hi Erik,
Scania down south in Malmö and Vabis in Södertälje close to Stockholm were both started in the pioneer days at the turn of the century and both made cars - and the occasional truck, but not very many of them. They saw benefits in joining their operations in 1911 and since then all development and almost all production is in Södertalje. The production in Malmö was stopped during the post WW1 depression in 1921, when the company was temporary bankrupt and reorganised.
It was easier to make a profit selling trucks and firetrucks for the domestic market, so after the 20's they haven't made any cars.

Their trucks has been successful on many export markets like South America since after WW2, but I don't think they ever tried to sell on the US market?
Volvo trucks has been in the US for many years and has sold many trucks, but I don't think they have made much money on their sales in USA since it's such a tricky and special market with demands from fleets to have other engines and other transmissions fitted etc.

Scania's decision to stay out of the US may have been a wise one, since they're still a big brand internationally and profitable. They have a very consequent philosophy in cab building out of modules that has reduced the number of parts needed for different cab configurations for 35 years - Volvo Trucks never could make the necessary decisions to implement such a build philosophy when I worked for them in the 80's and 90's (and still not, I think?)

In 1969 Scania-Vabis and Saab joined, and by then the Vabis name was dropped. So I think your badge is post war, but earlier than 1969.
I'll put up a question at a Swedish Facebook group for old cars and trucks, maybe someone can pinpoint it more exact. Maybe it comes from south america where they even have had assembly branches for many years.

Nowadays most of the Scania stocks has been bought by VW in a hostile takeover and it's possible they have plans to join Scania with MAN in some (for Scania and Sweden) less than ideal way, but that's still in the future..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 06:11 am:

Now I see it isn't plastic as I first thought, it's porcelain and thus likely from before WW2 but after 1911.. Let's see if someone can pinpoint more exact?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 06:47 am:

Now I've got some answers at Facebook. Apparently the logo in your emblem was adopted in 1954, so it's from the 50's or 60's and from a truck.

Here's a model L51 from '54:

Truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 07:00 am:

I am pretty sure the first Mack diesels were Scania motors built under licence. Happy to be corrected though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:13 am:

I remember from the fifties in Norway that Scania Vabis was considered the "Rolls Royce" of the ruck industry, whereas Mercedes Benz was just an "also ran" along with MAN, Magirus, Volvo, and others. I thought I read that Scania has sold some of their articulated buses in the US.
As for Volvo Lastvagnar (trucks), it seems they took over White many years ago here in the US and later took over the class 8 part of GM's truck manufacturing.
This is from memory, which in my case is highly suspect!
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Thank you for the responses.

It is die cast brass/bronze with cloisonné - not plastic. If you are not familiar with cloisonné, it is glass or porcelain enamel. The powder/paste is put on the badge and then it is fired in a kiln.

My dad picked up the emblem when he was in Sweden in 1960. He told one of his cousins that he collected badges and so the cousin took him to a local junkyard and they pulled badges off cars. We have some other foreign badges from that adventure but none of them are from Swedish makes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Ok, I hadn't heard the term cloisonne,
Since it can't be newer than 1960, then it it's quite determined in age - odd such a new truck was at the junkyard. Maybe it had been in a collision - the damages may indicate something like that.

(Message edited by Roger K on July 27, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

It's possible the entire truck was not in the junkyard - maybe just the radiator.

My dad is in his early 80s and that was 55 years ago so he doesn't remember the finer details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

I should have typed "maybe just the radiator shell."

When he originally showed it to me, he said it was from a bus.

This 1927 Scania-Vabis bus looks like it may have the same badge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

The logo was different before 1954, well that's what's said in one Scania website.
Here's one of the earlier logos - with bricks in the background:

Scania logo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Thank you for the additional details.

Erik

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration