'24 Touring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '24 Touring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Did Ford use any kind of glue to join the wood structure together on the touring car? My wood is original and in extremely nice condition, but joints are separating. Everything is held together with screws at this point and I would like to know if it is acceptable to use glue.

Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:32 am:

no glue in the old days the body had to be able to flex when going in the ditches and such. that's what made the hole car work. i still wont use glue if it is that bad it may need a re-wood job.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:53 am:

The wood probably has shrunk up a bit over the years. If you have access to the screw heads, you could just tighten them. Glue is a no-no, as Charley explained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Most T owners these days pamper there car. If you plan on driving your car only on nice fairly smooth roads then you can get away with gluing some of the joints. As Mike stated, you should first start with tightening the screws if possible. I would keep the glued joints to a minimum since you may indeed hit a bump someday and need the body flex. You may need to do some rewooding down the road but some minimal gluing today could keep you on the road for awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Crowned roads, speed bumps, pot holes, today's roads are not as smooth as you think! I would go with tightening the screws first. The light frame and 3 point suspension and no real shocks on the corners like a Model A, still allow the T to twist quite a bit even on today's roads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:56 am:

I didn't see any evidence of glue, but wanted to be sure. I'll work on getting the screws tighter and call it a day.
Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration