Pitman Arm Movement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pitman Arm Movement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:45 am:

I have an good idea of how to replace my Pitman Arm.. "It's just should it be replace once you hear or feel thug/free movement in the steering".

Should there be some free movement.. Are there fillers like brass caps or do I need to grease it up to fill the void, Would a new cover most of the time do the job. Or do you replace the Pitman Arm when you feel a small movement.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:54 am:

This may help:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/436245.html?1401029913

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

The others have covered it well. Be sure and check the gears under the steering column. Also as far as linkage goes; if the balls are not oval I like these accessories that are spring loaded. I looked in my catalogs Snyder's and Lang's and do not see them, so I do not know who stocks them; maybe Bob's. On my Speedster, I changed the steering to 5-1. It took all the play out. The only hard part was riveting the quadrant and outside column together

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2728APCO.aspx

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

Thanks,

Royce, Kevin & Mark. I ended up grinding 1/32" off the cap and the sane off the other side.. Greased it up and WALA. it tighten up and seems real good. Thou the next time I'll get a chance to take her out will be in weekend.. but "No Parts Required" perhaps after another 100 yrs. the Arm will need replacement" Thanks Folks..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 04:29 pm:

A cupped old penny from back when they were made out of some copper works better as a shim than the thin steel cups the vendors sell. Constantine had the steering lock up after driving through bad roads in Africa with his '13 - it was the steel shim cups that wore through and thus blocked full movement. A copper penny won't do that. And Yes, if the ball is slightly oval the Apco accessory cap is better, but if it's more than slightly oval, a new or better ball/pitman arm is the best option.

The drag links aren't reproduced, so the cupped penny is for compensating wear in the link. I wouldn't combine an Apco cap with any shim

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration