OT- Cars in Arrow Rock, MO (Old Photo)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- Cars in Arrow Rock, MO (Old Photo)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrett F. on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Photos of a bunch of cars going through my old hometown of Arrow Rock, Missouri back in the late 1900s/early-mid 1910s. The building in the background is the J. Houston Tavern, and is a wonderful place to eat (at least when I lived there) and still stands.

arrow rock cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Couldn't resist:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrett F. on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Yep, Chris. That's the place. They have the BEST fried chicken, or at least when Liz Huff ran the place. She now owns a restaurant called the "Catalpa" which is somewhere else in Arrow Rock. A very small town.

She used to volunteer at our school a lot so the whole school got to get out of school for a day and tour the town, which included eating at "The Tavern" (as locals call it) and tour the museum on the second floor.

The J. Houston tavern is right down the street from the Lyceum Theatre, which anyone in Missouri has heard at least once in their life. And right across the street is a boardwalk. They try to keep the place looking as original (1800s to the turn of the century) as possible.

Anyways, sorry for the short tangent.

~Garrett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

Don't be sorry! I love these old photos and stories.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrett F. on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

To be brutally honest, it'd be a great place to start a Model T tour company. Arrow Rock has a few (like five) bed and breakfasts. The population of the entire town is 72, and has decreased since I left there in 2010.

But it would be a real nice place to start a Model T tour company or a "Rent a Model T for the day" business, if the risk and liability wasn't too high. It'd be an excellent place to start something like the "Model T Tours" business they have near Yosemite National Park in California.

My school ranged from preschool and 8th grade, and once you hit 8th grade you got shipped off to either Marshall High School or Slater High School (you got to pick. There were only 40 kids in the whole school.)

Around 2008, the preschool teacher at the school also doubled as a school bus driver. She drove us to Arrow Rock for another field trip, and she stopped the bus at the roundabout in the state park at the part that overlooks the Missouri River (you can see that part in Google Maps, I believe.) She stopped the bus and told us a story where her grandmother was at home and heard someone knocking at the door. She opened it up and it was none other than Henry Ford himself, and he was driving all across the United States. I don't remember the details (I was young, and I really hadn't developed a "love" for vintage Fords yet.) But I was shocked because my young self thought Henry Ford was a person who lived back in the time of Thomas Jefferson and such.

But looking back on it, it was such an interesting story and I wish I could go back in time and ask her more. I don't have her contact information. My house burned down and forced us to move out of that school district in 2010, and when I returned to visit in 2012, she already retired. So, sadly, we will never know why Henry stopped at her house. Heck, more than likely he was driving a Tin Lizzie or a Model A at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrett F. on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Sorry for the double post. But here are some Google Maps images.

Here is the whole town of Arrow Rock. It is just slightly bigger than Parkersfield, Kansas. The orange star is where she stopped the bus and told us the story about Henry Ford.
ar map

Here is the lookout itself. The top is looking at the Missouri River (although you can't see it) - but the bottom is the actual view I remember having when she told the story.
Lookout 1
Lookout 2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration