Muffler wrap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Muffler wrap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

I sometimes post dumb questions and this is probably another one, but what is the purpose or benefit of using a muffler wrap? Heat/noise containment? Just curious if I should invest in one or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Heat containment is the primary reason, Heat is what drives the piston down the cyl, the more heat you can retain in the engine the more HP you get.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

I think Ford used it to soften the sound?
Then in 1917 war shortages or the continuing cost reductions made them test leaving the wrap off - and the sound change wasn't as much as expected so a few more dimes were saved on each car :-) (all this is my speculation of course)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Mike, do you think the wrap on the mufflers Ford used 1909-17 made much difference back in the cylinders? Wouldn't wrapping the first part of the pipe be more efficient?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

Bill,

I guess that I'm in your camp. I thought the wrap was a frugal way to fix this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

Given his well earned and fully deserved status in the Montana 500 hierarchy, I always look forward to any comments Mike Robison might make concerning getting maximum performance out of a model T Ford. However, on this, given the limited thermal retention afforded the cylinder stroke by a small thermal wrap four feet away and so close to the final exit? I doubt that anything would be gained in power. It IS a valid point from a laws of physics standpoint however. Wrapping the manifold and head-pipe probably would give a small boast in power. However, that could also lead to burning exhaust valves rather quickly. Maybe Mike R has a source of titanium valves? To a very limited extent, restricting the exhaust can boast actual power, for reasons of hanging onto the thermal expansion of gasses longer in the cylinder. However, the deleterious effects of "lack of breathing well" at higher rpm usually more than offsets any gain.

I am with Roger K on this. I think that Ford wrapped the muffler in the beginning to aid in quieting the car, then, either for cost or war restriction reasons about 1917, eliminated the wrap.
Been my opinion for a long time.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

I wrap the exhaust pipe between the header and muffler to help keep the floor board of my hack cool. It can get toasty on a hot day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 08:16 am:

Fred, what do you use as a wrap and how do you keep it on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:18 am:

Just do a Google search on "header wrap kit", the ends of the wrap are held on to the pipe by hose clamps. :-)

wrap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Bill,

It was for heat containment, nothing more or less. It had nothing whatsoever to do with keeping heat in the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Thanks for the information fellas! I think I'll pass on the muffler wrap if it really isn't beneficial but I will wrap the exhaust pipe, since it sounds like it may cut down on some of the heat going into the driving compartment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

I'm sorry when I read Muffler wrap, my immediate thought was header wrap. Thanks all for reading between the lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

I'm sorry too, We all had correct answers for the different questions we read into the original post - it seems like Fred and Mark had the answers for what Bill actually was asking about :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Bill,
I have 6 T's and only one has a muffler wrap, and that's because it's a MOTAA and AACA "senior" car and it had one when it left the factory, so I put one on it. It keeps some heat away from the floorboards, but, I don't think it's really necessary, other than for looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:33 am:

I wrapped my muffler with real asbestos in 1962, with 3 original straps. I finally had to replace a strap a couple of years ago. Nor too bad for over 50,000 miles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:40 am:

Bill - as Mark says -- I use a hose clamp to hold it in place. At the start (manifold) I just overlap it and use a SS hose clamp at the end near the muffler.

I get the wrap from Autozone - usually black but it turns grey when heated.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration