My "floating" transmission shaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: My "floating" transmission shaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

I have drilled this one for pressure oiling (coming from the rear main bearing of the crank). I am also getting it nitrided. I may install needle bearings as I now have a set of Dan's needle bearing triple gears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

OK, now I get it. I didn't understand before how it "floated." That should save some crankshafts. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Les, Are you going to make any of these available for sale???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

Jay
I guess I would like to find a distributor who wants to buy some inventory ( maybe buy 50 pieces). It would keep the manufacturing cost down

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

That looks great Les,

Put me down for one at least, I don't know if I can place another 49 of them but if you have an idea on price then maybe we could gather some interest.

Cheers

Anthony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

The "Other" Les likes it also......would like to buy one. A Stupid question.....how do you control end play between the crankshaft flange and rear main in order for the floated part to be fully engaged?. Do you use a sealed ball bearing 4th main with this set up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:50 am:

Innovations like this is why the Model T Ford will live forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:12 am:

Trying to think why Ford went to a rigid connection between the crank and transmission. On the N, R, and S models, the two were not bolted together, however on the two cylinder cars, the crank and transmission shaft were one piece. Perhaps on the N,R,S the junction became loose and caused problems, motivating Ford to make a solid connection. I have the same question that Les VN has, how is the front to back movement controlled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Would not the flywheel hold it in? How many of these are out? What are the findings of the folks that have run them? Thanks for the info, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Dan is correct. The transmission shaft flange is captured between the flywheel and the crankshaft flange. I would guess that in Les' design, the bronze part is somewhat thicker than the contoured shaft flange, allowing for the "float" that's desired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Les,
How long has this shaft been installed in Model T's and how many miles on it? The idea looks like a good one, and I am just curious about whether it is as good or as safe or better than the original design. This is not a criticism, just want practical application.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

The bronze piece is about .005" thicker.
There are about 10 in service by various people.
This is NOT a substitute for a STRAIGHT pan and proper assembly practice!!!
I am getting a quote for 10 more which I will make available to suitable candidates.
This can be used with any "4th main" as it has no effect on that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 03:14 pm:

The more I think on it, the more I like it. The flywheel is still bolted to the crank so the connection is rigid where it needs to be. Only the transmission shaft can move. And then only by a small amount. Les, what is the maximum amount of deflection at the end of the transmission shaft when everything but the drums and triple gears is assembled. I am thinking if maximum deflection is in the order of 20 thou or less, it would be just about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Les: Sent you a PM, check your email. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Richard
You are about correct!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

After I studied it for while even I figured it out! Really a great innovation!

Mike

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration