More on 2 up 2 dwn project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: More on 2 up 2 dwn project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

A couple picture of the crank. It has 1 1/2" mains and throws and is 4" stroke (like a stock T)

And here are the aluminum rod castings that I have. They can be made the same length as T rods, so stock T pistons will work out fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Are you planning to put bearings in those rods Les? or will they be all alloy like a briggs and stratton engine?

Looks interesting;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Based on the results others have had, I will just run the aluminum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Thank you for these excellent images today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, July 27, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

Les, That crank is a monster. Good looking job. Im interested in hearing how the rods work out. Keep us posted, as this is a neat looking project... Thanks for the pics ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:10 am:

Thank you for sharing these photos. I have only read a few things about the "two up-two down" engines, but they sure sound great! I would love to play with one.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Those 2-up-2-down engines are so cool. I'd love to build one up some day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Since folks like Scat make lots of crankshafts, and machine them from solid blocks by computer control, how tough would it be for them to build a 2 up 2 down counterbalanced crankshaft for a T? I would think that a computer program could do it fairly easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

Cool stuff. I read the other postings so have now an idea what it's about. Heck I would be happy just building a reverse rotation engine! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:26 am:

Mark G, Now you are really going to confuse people! Yes, I have read about that also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Scat has made a few custom cranks by altering the CNC programming of their production machines, usually changes to the rear flange length. Since all of their model A, B, and T cranks start with the same forging, this is not difficult. But the 2up2down is a radical departure from common 4 cylinder cranks and would require a unique casting or forging to start with. Not practical given the low demand for them. The answer is to turn one out from billet. Not a problem for Scat. When I was there a few years ago to pick up my first Scat crank, the owner gave me a tour. I saw a couple steel billets about five feet long and a foot in diameter. He said, "We are making those into WWI Liberty V12 airplane cranks. We can make any crank that will fit into our machines here. All it takes is money." He pointed at the broken Liberty crank on the floor. "Sometimes lots of money."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:49 am:

Okay. For those that have not heard about the idea, many four cylinder engines can be made to run in the reverse direction by a little change in timing and a major change in carburetion and manifolding. The effect is to reverse the order of the valves, which then turns the intake valves into exhaust valves which puts the higher pressure exhaust out the two ports while the former exhaust four ports become a high-volume intake. The effect is to have a better breathing, faster, engine for low cost. It also becomes necessary to flip the rear end ring gear to the other side to keep the forward direction. I have never seen one in person, but I heard there was one that did quite well in hill climbs some years ago.
A lot of strange things have been tried to get more speed for low cost. The thing about this one is, it uses the regular crankshaft, and if I recall correctly, a standard OR better yet standard order but higher lift camshaft. The two up/two down requires a custom firing order camshaft.
Anyway, Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 02:06 am:

There was a gentleman that ran at the FAST hill climbs with a flathead model A coupe. He ran four intake and two exhaust ports, but rather that turn the engine backwards, he turned the cam backwards by using a small block V8 Ford timing chain rather than the model A gears. This was a full bodied car with fenders and all, and it would smoke most of the speedsters even with a passenger along for the ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 02:14 am:

Erik;
The were just talking about doing that conversion in the past week on Fordbarn.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration