What year roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:56 am:

Can someone help me date this roadster body please
cheers. I am picking about 1924?
kume

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:00 am:

sorry - duplicated photos - here is another

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:11 am:

Late 1923-1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:39 am:

There are better experts here than I, however two minor details I have read several times to separate the '24 from the '25.
The door hinges in 1924 were unequal length. The hinge was longer on the bottom than on the top so that the door swung open level. The hinge in 1925 became equal length allowing the door to swing out hanging down slightly.
On the firewall. there is a "data plate" which is about an inch by about two inches in size, and originally made from aluminum. Mostly, '24s had four rivets holding the plate on, one in each corner. Mostly, in '25, the plate had clipped corners and was held on by only two rivets.
Of course, either the firewall (and its data plate) or the door or even only its hinge could have been changed at some time in the past 90 years. The basic body really doesn't matter much between '24 and '25 runabout/roadster (coupes changed a lot more). I think there may also be a slight difference in how the cowl bolts to the body, but that one I do not know. That stuff only really matters if you are trying to put together a really correct car. Something I am not certain Ford ever did?! (That is supposed to be a joke.) I refuse to go nuts about it, but I am trying to get my '15 runabout as close to spring '15 correct as I can.
1923s were generally low cowl, but with the windshield and trunk/deck like your later one. Although a few very late '23s before the official '24 model MAY have been high cowl like your body is. That is one of those points still being disputed and debated. Most high cowl so-called '23s are actually early '24s, mostly made in calendar year '23.
Looks like a good body for a project.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 02:37 am:

Thanks Dennis and Wayne. excellent info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:39 am:

It's most likely a '24. The striker plate has four holes, the '25s have two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 05:41 am:

This looks like a LHD car that has recently found its way to New Zealand. The cars in the background have NZ plates. It certainly doesn't appear to be a RHD Canadian version as they had doors on both sides, and almost all Ford T's imported into NZ came from Canada.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration