Lightweight Flywheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lightweight Flywheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:01 am:

A lightweight flywheel came to me and I'm considering what to do with it (best way to sell it, really). I see these used to be sold through the catalog for $500, but that figure seems high. Anyone hazard a guess on the value of these? (the second picture shows a normal transmission in the background for comparison)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:29 am:

Looks to be a non starter flywheel with slingers. Also appears to be balanced. My guess would be 75 bucks just because its cleaned up, its also a guess if the balance was good. Here is one I had balanced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:50 am:

Hi Jeff. Since you're not planning on using it yourself maybe it's a non-issue but, those oil slingers are way too light and won't live long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:57 am:

There have been warnings about certain kinds of oil paddles having a tendency to fail at high rpms, maybe it was this type?
They look thin, and the fastening with only one screw scares me..
David's paddles looks much safer with two bolts for each.

I made my own paddles out of angle iron and fastened them in existing holes:

Flywheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Ya, I was looking at those. Their shape is practically designed to create the largest moment about their single attachment point. I looks like they're going to very quickly all rotate around and either do nothing or get caught on something.

They are pretty though. Someone spent a lot of time on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:15 am:

David, That flywheel seems to have balancing holes exactly opposite each other. Has that wheel been balanced more then once, or did someone mess up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

I sold one at Bakersfield in April for $25. At least that's what I was asking for it, I may have sold it for less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

I would NEVER run those oil paddles. They are begging for a massive failure (I saw a similar one after the failure). I have run two speedsters with lightened flywheels and oil slingers. Both of them had slingers made out of good angle-iron or full box tubing.
I can't imagine one of those ever selling for $500. Unless it included a completely (and properly) rebuilt complete transmission. I think Gary L's $25 is right on the mark for a flywheel. A whole transmission (not rebuilt and guaranteed) would be worth somewhat more. For most people (maybe not me), the "no starter" flywheel is worth less than the ones with the starter gear on them. Most people are putting starter gears into even non-starter engines just for probable future use. (My "mostly genuine, mostly'13" speedster got a non-starter flywheel, but then I am crazy.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

What is "lightweight" on this flywheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

Look at the shot of the two transmissions side by side. On the one in the back, you'll see a lip behind the flywheel. This is actually part of the flywheel itself. On the one in the foreground that lip is not there. It's been machined off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Two engines I have "lightened" with the oil slingers from Synders, Mac's. And balanced the flywheel after I had installed the slingers.
Getting ready to build a third engine ("lightened") but just using the ring gear as the oil thrower. I figure the flywheel alone throws plenty of oil just dragging through the oil reserve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

My flywheel had a few factory balancing holes, but after I added the slingers I had dynamically balanced by J and M. They also did the triple gears and pins. I have the balance sheet if I can resize and post it. The results of just the numbers are shocking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

David, I would really like to see that.

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Found it. You can see that at 3000 rpm that the force is nearly 100lbs. Not that my scat crank flathead will ever see that speed but Im sure it would have been a noticeable vibration regaurdless of rpm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

The $500 flywheel I believe you are referring to was made by the late Kirk Wright and was machined from billet steel stock. The flywheel shown is just a stock flywheel without the magnets and thin metal paddles installed. I agree. It is unlikely they will hold up. Value, in my opinion, about $25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:22 am:

Good, this is why I ask rather than guessing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:38 am:

If you look carefully at the first or third picture there are two not three paddles on opposite sides of the fly wheel cast in. they are not aligned with the triple gear pin holes so they would not deflect oil under and between the gears like the early fly wheels I have seen.
My late flywheels have eliminated those paddles.
I have never seen a fly wheel with two paddles on opposite sides.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration