Transmission Speedometer Pickup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Transmission Speedometer Pickup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:55 am:

Ran across this and haven't actually seen one before that I recall. This is on a 26-27 transmission. Were these pickups used with the standard Model 490 speedometer or something different? Are these common and I just haven't seen one through random chance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Came out in 1926 so only chance to have one on a late trans. Not really common today.

Patterson Speedometer Drive

Earlier thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/237856.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

Probably won't work too well with a Ruckstell or auxiliary transmission. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Sure it will. "Hey, Look at that! I'm doing 35 MPH in Ruxckstell Low!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

We are attempting to get some new improved gears made to run on the worm gear you have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Ya? That's good. I was thinking that the part I have is sort of useless without the rest and that the other gear is probably to more rare of the two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

I think gator Gould needs that gear if you don't need it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

I do not need it at all. I was probably going to put it on Tbay auction or maybe Hershey. Don't know Gould, though. No reasonable offer refused if he needs it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Sorta like the RM brackets for sale ( :-) ), without the rest of the parts, not worth much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:59 pm:

I have never met Gator or his wife personally, however, Gator and the Mrs. are the ones that compiled the M.T.F.C.A.'s Model T teaching curriculum and notebook for schools. That way, anyone who would care to offer a presentation to a local school can do so with the aid of the manual.

I have used this manual in the past, free of charge from the club, to give presentations to my children's school.

Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Gould.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:25 am:

Gator is a true gentleman and model T icon. We had great fun on the 2004 National T tour in Renmark in South Australia's Riverland region and also in Echuca in 2008.

He is usually at Chickasha, and kindly let me leave a trunk on his site while I filled it with goodies at the 2010 meet.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Will he be a Hershey? I'll be there and can give it to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

Jeff -- Gator and his wife Paula are wonderful folks. Gator is (or was) the Youth Director for the MTFCI, and he does a lot to promote the Model T hobby.

You can mail the part to him at: 97 Model T Circle, Monroeville, AL 36460. If you need some money for the part, let me know how much and i'll send you a check. My contact info is at the bottom of my profile page. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

I think of Gator as a true friend, both personally and of the hobby. He came up to a Mainely T Tour several years back and commented he did not have an early screwdriver and was looking for one - I drove home & back just to give him one. I think he spent more time helping others out than driving - a really good guy.

I'm thinking that Mike feels that way too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

I agree with Mike - Gator and Paula are wonderful folks. He is often seen at Hershey, and on tours also.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

I see that someone has the matching inspection cover for sale on T-bay (I have no connection to the listing):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-MODEL-T-FORD-SPEEDOMETER-GEAR-COMPATIBLE-HOGS-H EAD-TRANSMISSION-COVER-/252012407615?hash=item3aad1c2b3f&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Jeff: Check your email, sent you a PM. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

Mike, I had the same idea, but did not know how to transfer funds. I owe Gator a favour or two.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:06 am:

I talked to Gator last night, we'll get him that part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Super!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Jeff's picture reminded me of this transmission lid that came in a bunch of auction plunder.

I haven't studied these things, but I assume there were different aftermarket versions of the same thing.

Obviously these gears don't go with that worm on the transmission.

It's just for show & tell. The gears are toast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Hi.
Here are some pictures of a transmission lid that's on one of my spare engines (1923). It has a swedish patented speedometer drive made by a mr. Lundgren. It looks pretty much like the Patterson speedometer except its made of cast aluminium. The axle is supported by a bronze bearing. The lid has oval holes to get the correct gear mesh.
I don't know anything about Lundgren , but he obviously took a patent on this application. That's interesting. Wonder if he made any money on the speedo. drive. Maybe he sold the patent to someone in the USA. :>)

Rolf Varmland Sweden.
Lundgrens spedoometer driveCover backside

application/octet-streamWorm gear
Trans.cover3 (182.7 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Just to make it clear.This unit is made for the earlier engines.
This speedometer drive is fitted in an 1923 engine. Don't know when the patent was made. I'm probably the owner of a very rare item. That's cool. : )
Rolf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Hej Rolf :-)
I've found a Lundgren transmission plate too. Unfortunately it's cracked and lacks the small gear. I've got the large gear that sits on the drive plate shaft and also holds the clutch spring.
The Lundgren patent wasn't as clever as the Patterson with a split gear - thus the Lundgren speedo drive must have been hard to install, and likely hard to sell.
It would be nice if the small gear could be duplicated in some way..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Monday, August 03, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Tim Morsher from Norwalk Ohio repop some of those gears, I know that since the patterson drive came from me. Hope this helps some one out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Hey,
Thought you'ld be interested in seeing that transmission gear off and cleaned up. Turns out it's a brass split gear held with two cotter pins. There's a lip that fits between the clutch spring and the cup flange. The force of the spring with what keeps the gear from spinning. There's no other pin or key. Nice piece of machining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, August 10, 2015 - 07:16 am:

I have a transmission speedometer that is on my '22 Coupe but it has a gear braised on the spring cup and two gears that mesh. The outside cover looks like the one Steve posted but the gear system inside is different. It stamped inside with "Studebaker Manufacturing" and a list of numbers. I need the interior spring cable to make it work it was broken in two when I dissembled the car everything else is there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration