Old Photo - Grass Valley California July 4th 1917

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Grass Valley California July 4th 1917
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:12 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

Who do we know in Grass Valley?.......

Wayne, are you in this picture? :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

frist car i think is a stearns knight about 1917.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Keith, I moved from Grass Valley 8 miles west to Penn Valley about 7 years ago. That photo looks to be taken on South Auburn Street about two blocks from my old house (I presently have it for sale if you want to move there).

I missed the 1917 Independence Day parade, must have been home polishing brass or whitewashing the outhouse.

T.H.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

car next to sidewalk is a dodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

love jays pics,its the only reason i mess with this site ha ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

That looks like me in the back seat of the lead car with all the greenery on it. It looks like the Homburg hat I used to have that I liked so much (it was stolen out of the back seat of a friend's sedan at a car show years ago).
What I want to know is, where is that Stearns Knight hiding? Although they tend to be a bit slow, they are beautiful cars.
Great photo!
Thanks all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Wayne! its the first car you can see with the flag on the hood.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:00 am:

Charley S,
I know where the Stearns is in the photo (distinctive radiator shell!), I want to know where the car is hiding now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:57 am:

Definitely a new Dodge Brothers at the curb.
Was Stearns using Knight engines in 1917? I think possibly so because It looks like there may be smoke on the left side of the car. A sure sign of a Knight sleeve valve. Almost nothing you can do about it. I know of one gorgeous 1925 Stearns Knight with a 250 Chevy six carefully installed in a non destructive manner because the car was a nuisance at car events. You couldn't hear it run, but there was no doubt when it was! The Knight engine sits on a pallet and can be returned to the car at any time, but there are no plans to that effect, as the owner can now enjoy the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 03:26 am:

I have known several people with Knight engine cars, Willys, Falcon, Stearns, and even a Minerva. Some of them do tend to smoke a bit much, but usually not all that badly. The Stearns a close friend had did not smoke much at all. But the silly thing was a bit long-stroked, and those sleeve valves just wouldn't move fast enough. The car was a little low geared, and that engine just wouldn't turn fast enough to push the car much over 35 mph. The car was one of the most beautiful landau sedans I have ever seen in my life (the interior was drop-dead-gorgeous, one of the few cars I would ever use that expression for). The car was big, beautiful, quiet, and slow. My friend loved to drive his cars, and after a few years he reluctantly gave up and sold the car in spite of how great it looked. Several options had been considered, rear end gear changes, over-drives, but the prognosis just wasn't that good to get good speed out of it.
Several Willys Knights I have known toured quite well at reasonable speeds (although a 1924 four cylinder three door sedan Willys also was cursed with a top speed of 35 mph).
One Falcon Knight was owned by a couple different good friends over the years. It was driven and toured extensively, and always performed fairly well by 1927 standards. I rode in it a few times and followed it many times on tours. 50 to 55 mph and almost no smoke.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration