1917 Model T Fire Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1917 Model T Fire Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jacob Volle on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Hello all, New member to the forum but I've been driving a T for about six years now. This is the one I learned to drive on and it belongs to the fire department that I am a member of. Only myself and one other member know how to, and are willing to drive it. We take it all over Central Illinois to different fire musters and apparatus parades. We always get a lot of attention and questions and, of course, awards. We are starting to run into a few issues with it but it's still running strong! Hope to learn a lot from this forum, and maybe we'll run into some of you at events!1917 Fire Engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Welcome - Great firetruck :-)
Did you participate in the restoration?
Often firetrucks has run low miles, but almost 100 years is a long time..
Did it belong to the fire department all the time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

You may want to send a P.M. to this guy I'm sure he can provide a lot of insight. Welcome Aboard:-)
http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=twrenn-users

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jacob Volle on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Thank you! I was not involved in the restoration. I do know that it was a light restoration in the late 70's/early 80's (before I was born in 1987!) that maintained all original parts, except the gas tank and rubber tires. The department owned it until the 50's when it was sold to a local farmer. After it sat in his barn for 25 years it was purchased at an auction, restored, and donated back to the department. It sat from 1985 until I got on the department in 2008. I was immediately fascinated by it and wanted to learn how to drive it and work on it. A local citizen taught me how to drive a Model T in one of his, and from there I got ours to run and have been taking it to parades and shows ever since. Thank you for asking! Sorry for the long history post, but I enjoy sharing that story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:07 pm:

Jacob -- Welcome to the Forum and the Model T Community. Thanks for sharing with us the history of the truck. How wonderful that someone restored the truck and donated it back to the department! Do you know who that was?

This is the place to ask questions, so if you're having difficulty figuring something out, give us a holler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:31 pm:

There seem to be a lot of 1917 TT Ford fire Trucks.

Some place I read that Ford only made 6 proto-type 1917 TT Trucks.

Bruce McCalley notes that all 1917 trucks were 1918 models built in Calendar year 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

Jacob

As you will find out on this forum, with a truck that was restored back in the 70's it is a good idea to plan on taking the rear axle apart to make sure it does not have the Babbitt thrust washers inside. This is not a major undertaking like taking down the motor. I would hate to see you in a parade and have the washer fail and then someone in the parade gets hurt.

Truck looks great. We need more pictures.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration