Restored Hayes wire wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Restored Hayes wire wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Emil Kuschke on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

On August 19 2014, a friend of mine, Ockert van den Berg, residing in Switzerland at that time, made a post on the forum enquiring about spokes for Hayes wire wheels. We imported the spokes from England. It was sent to Switzerland and from Switzerland to South Africa. Well, 11 months later, and with the help of many Model T Ford friends around the globe, I have completed the restoration of these wheels. I have just completed our national tour for veteran cars with them, covering many kilometers on gravel road with success! MANY THANKS to Allan Bennet from "Down under", Ockert van den Berg and the Model T King in South Africa, Kevin Casey, for helping me to make a dream come true.Hayes wire wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Hi Philip, It's good to see another set of Hayes wires in use. I have a rebuilt set ready for my 25 D&F roadster project. This will be the third set I have had.
You may find you break a spoke or two early on, usually at the hub end. The stresses in making the bend and the spoke head result in the odd breakage at first. Replacement of all but the rear inners is easy. However, inner rears are a different problem. To be able to feed them into place requires they be bent to clear the adjacent spokes, sometimes almost into a U shape, and once in place they are straightened out again.

Hope this helps.

For anyone interested, I still have a rebuilt set of 23" hayes wire wheels for sale. They belong to a customer who has changed his mind about using them. His price is AU$4000, which includes 4 really nice original hubcaps valued at AU$480 on current reproduction prices. The AU$4000 equates to less than US$3000 currently, but then you need to factor in shipping.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

I thought maybe this was the type of wheel talked about in some other postings. I like them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration