Elec fuel pump

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Elec fuel pump
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fritz Hady Mt. Top,Pa. on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Is there any reason that a stock Holly carb will not handle the pressure from a small elec pump without flooding,the carb appears to be in good shape. Thanks,Fritz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Try it and see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Fritz I'm toying with changing the Carby from my Vaporizer on my Coupe to a modern (not Model T) Carby mounted higher so I'll need a normal fuel pump. I fitted a hidden fuel pump, 12v lower vol than average, in preparation & I connected it up to the Vaporizer after I wired it up to check it was working and the fuel just ran straight through the Vaporizer fuel bowl.
My speedster (6v) runs a NH Holley and it has a few bits of crap in the tank and I cant remove it from under the dash to clean it out plus its RHD and they don't make new fuel sediment bowls for RHD's. Hence I have no filtered system to catch what I know is in the tank so I have fitted a small clear paper inline filter. I haven't owned this car for long and don't know how it ran previous but I notice it lacks high end speed and I'm thinking it's maybe due to a restricted fuel supply when throttle opened up at speed so I have a low Vol 6v fuel pump on the way. I hope the NH can handle the slight push this 6v pump will supply without flooding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Usually you need a fuel pressure regulator set at about 1 psi ( or about 7 kPa in metric)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

An electric fuel pump works fine, but you need a pressure regulator after the pump. Most carburetor float systems cannot handle the pressure from the pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

Where are these pressure regulators available from guys? Ta

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

A method I used some time ago on a TT was to put a resistor in series with the fuel pump to reduce the pressure. It worked very well. However, this might not be suitable for all pumps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

A Google search for "1-4 psi fuel pressure regulator" revealed these hits:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1PRFA_enUS447US447&io n=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=1-4%20psi%20fuel%20pressure%20regulator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

I just went to a local Auto parts store and they ordered a regulator and an electric fuel pump for me. The regulator had an adjustable range going from below 1 PSI to about 5 PSI.
I figured I need about 1 PSI as the gravity pressure for a little over 1 foot height of fuel is about 1 PSI. I works good.
I was replacing a vacuum fuel pump on my After market bodied model T with a tank in the trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

I have ALWAYS been able to just walk into a parts store and buy a pressure regulator.
I have always set them to 1 1/2.
From now on I will set them at 1, except on later cars that had a mechanical fuel pump. They cab stay 1 1/2.
If you are just going to use the electric pump to get you up steep hills when you are low on fuel you don't need a pressure regulator, so I have found.
I have found float height settings critical when I use and electric fuel pump on cars that were gravity feed.
Maybe that's because I always had the set at 1 1/2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Get an adjustable pressure pump you can also put in a loop line this is a line that goes around the pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

I'm using a 6v Carter fuel pump I bought through a vendor, running into a Holley regulator, into a Stromberg RF on my RAJO Model 30 head. The pump puts out 2 - 4 lbs, and the regulator is adjustable from 1 - 4 lbs. I got the regulator through a local auto parts store, though I had to have them order it. Suppose I could've got it directly from Holley (it's listed on their website). Anyway, in the photo below, you'll see the regulator mounted on the firewall, with one line going to the carb, and another line going to a gauge. I run it at 1.5 lbs, which works great in my Speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:40 am:

You don't need a pressure regulator. Here's what I use, it's made to feed carburetors directly and works great. It's even cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E8011-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000DT7Y70/ref=sr_1_1?i e=UTF8&qid=1438180752&sr=8-1&keywords=6v+fuel+pump&pebp=1438180755940&perid=0AZY K136YKADC6Z0GXDR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:45 am:

May I be so bold as to ask why you are even considering this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Dan,

I suspect it's because Model T's are like Legos, you just can't resist snapping on another piece.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration