OT - What to see & do in Great Falls, MT ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - What to see & do in Great Falls, MT ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:33 am:

Any suggestions about what sights to take in ?

I will be about 120 miles from the Canadian Border
but I have no interest in going into Canada ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 02:05 am:

Charlie Russell's studio and museum. For me, reading his letters with little illustrations in the margins is an absolute delight. https://www.cmrussell.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:12 am:

The Lewis and Clark Interpretative Center. I was impressed and the views of the Mighty Mo weren't bad either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:17 am:

I'll agree with Steve. I visited the Charles Russel Studio Museum a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:04 am:

Ditto what Steve said.
There is also a Lewis and Clark interpretive center there. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lcnf/recarea/?recid=61458

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:07 am:

How come Kirk's and Herb's posts didn't show up before I started mine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Giant Springs is about a mile or 2 from the Lewis and Clark interpretive center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 11:43 am:

How about the "Great Falls"? or isn't it that great?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Kirk,
How in the hambone did they get the battleship Missouri up to Montana? ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

Any good family owned places to eat ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Dennis, the Great Falls are under water from Rainbow Dam. They open the gates once in awhile to work on the dam and it is pretty spectacular. But then most of Montana is and we get bored with spectacular scenery.

This is my Willys FC170 setting in one of my hay fields waiting for me to go get some gas with the four wheeler. Looking south to the Elkhorn mountains in the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 02:54 pm:

Double Barrel Cafe on West Central Ave is good for breakfast and lunch. Two K's on 3rd Ave S. for breakfast and burgers is the best in town. A little hard to find but worth it. From 10th South take 6th Ave going north and turn west at 3rd. You can probably park there. Place looks like a dump. Go for the Cinnamon Rolls and stay for the pie. The Bread Pudding is the best restaurant BP you've ever had. You'll probably have to stand in line to get in. The Celtic Cowboy is good for sandwiches and whatever and there are a couple diners with real milkshakes and good burgers but nothing like 2 K's.

For a little more interesting experience try the Sip N Dip lounge. It has a huge glass wall that is one end of a pool. They have real Mermaids swimming around in the pool. They will come up to the window and wave to you or blow you a kiss. It's a Tiki bar from the 50's or 60's. You can't go to Great Falls and not go there for a drink. They have food but it's probably not the appeal. The Mermaids are over 21 but still look REALLY GOOD for Mermaids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Stan,

Excellent tips ...

Many thanks!

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Isn't Greytack's studio there too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Nope, I looked it up, it is in Havre

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 04:38 pm:

"For a little more interesting experience try the Sip N Dip lounge. It has a huge glass wall that is one end of a pool. They have real Mermaids swimming around in the pool. They will come up to the window and wave to you or blow you a kiss. It's a Tiki bar from the 50's or 60's. You can't go to Great Falls and not go there for a drink. They have food but it's probably not the appeal. The Mermaids are over 21 but still look REALLY GOOD for Mermaids."

Oooh, I love tiki bars. Do they play the exotic tiki music? I'm startin' to feel thirsty for a zombie . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

George
I guess the same way they got the big cottonwood canoes filled with supplies over hill and over dale. grin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

I dunno what Tiki music is, Paul, but if you come up I'll take you there and buy you a drink and we can stare at the Mermaids. Some lady put a nasty comment on that trip advisor thingy about how she took her grandchildren there expecting it to be a bar for "The Little Mermaid." and the Mermaids were inappropriately costumed. A bar with a Disney theme????? In Montana????? Hmmmmmmmm. Anyway,the owner responded correctly, telling her this is not Disney, that the girls are 21, appropriately dressed for swimming, college students and doing this to make money. What kind of idiot would think a bar in Montana would have a Little Mermaid theme??? There is a lot of history and the place used to be a little more "open" than it is now. Every once in awhile after the Mermaids were done for the night some guy would take a little swim to show off. Didn't faze anybody at the bar, they'd seen all the shows before. A fine looking girl swimming with the Mermaids would draw their attention. Years ago we were there and my girlfriend at the time took a swim. I don't swim. At least where anybody could see me. We stayed there for several days while we were doing an auction in Great Falls.

Sometimes there are some pretty cute non-Mermaid swimmers, too. "Swim with the Mermaids," is still part of it and is pretty fun, I think -- the bouncer is huge and mean. And a good swimmer himself. =) More than one jerk has found that out; this is Montana, less than gentlemanly behavior is dealt with pretty swiftly.

Old western deal: Every lady is treated like a lady even if she has proven she isn't and every man is treated like a gentleman until he proves he isn't and then will be taught manners until he becomes one. (or something like that - back to the shop, coffee time over.)

I actually haven't been there for years but it is a famous place, Esquire or one of those named it one of those best bars in America places. Jim, you can't go to Great Falls and not go see it. Give you something to tell the folks back home about when you get back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Stan don't forget Pat the lady that plays the organ (think it's just Friday and Saturday) she's in her 80s and been there for most of them. No tiki music.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

"The Mermaids are over 21 but still look REALLY GOOD for Mermaids."

Stan, considering the demographics of this forum, I suspect that a bunch of mermaids over 41 (or maybe even 51) might still look REALLY GOOD.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

I agree Stan the scenery is beautiful and I hope to get to see it some day. I have a brother who lives in Colorado and when I went to visit the scenery was fantastic. Oh my goodness the last time I visited my brother in Colorado was in the early '70's...time flies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

Stan,

I am not a drinking man but I will visit & have a drink

I don't think I will swim withe mermaids however ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 06:57 pm:

Duane, Pat is just as good or better than she used to be but I kind of thought this bunch would be more interested in the Mermaids than the music!

I still don't know what Tiki music is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Markuson on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Stan, the guys would more than likely pas on Pat the organ player BUT she is a big part of Friday and Saturday night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Might be but I'll bet SHE knows what Tiki music is! Just because I don't doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

Damn, makes me want to head for Great Falls.
I have not been there since 1945. It was pretty dead then, just a lot of soldiers heading for home or a discharge center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:17 am:

Here you go, Stan. Martin Denny was one of the biggies in Tiki music. All the rage in 1958.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnq2Z2Iu9S4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

What to see and do in Great Falls. Is that it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

So I want to know are you guys pro or con Tiki?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:25 pm:

Sometimes there is no accounting for taste. Thumbs down for me.

Much rather listen to Stan on his fiddle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Thanks Dave.

Me too. But I like all kinds of music except foreign language Opera. And most Rap. And Broadway show tunes. And Movie music. And 70's and 80's Rock and Roll. And 60's Rock and Roll. And Jazz. And schmaltzy 40's Sinatra. And modern so-called Country. And 80's Country. And 40's Hollywood movie cowboy songs. And Irish singing. And more than two Bagpipe songs. And most Disney music. And some other stuff.

Other than that I like music. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:53 am:

I like both kinds of music! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration