Speedometer experts, what do I have ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Speedometer experts, what do I have ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

I have the speedometer parts Ill show in the pictures below. I got them from an estate so I do not know much about them or what year they are for. Im going to sell them to pay for some speedster parts I want, but I need to know what they are for. The swivel is a 2-1/2 to 1 ratio, and the gears inside are excellent. The speedometer head is re-set to zero so it may have been rebuilt, but Im not sure. (probably many years ago) Any info is appreciated .... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Model 26 speedo head, made in 1915, with a non - Model T wheel gear. The speedo and swivel are appropriate aftermarket accessories for 1915, with an upgraded accessory dash angle mount swivel bracket.

The swivel is also era correct for 1915, it is a 2 1/2 to one RH side unit.

A bunch of good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

1912 Stewart head, Stewart swivel used in 1912 on up with minor variations. Wrong road gear for a Model T, probably wrong swivel gear for a Model T as well. Russ Furstnow can be more specific.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 04:04 pm:

Richard,
Royce is correct in that this speedometer was manufactured in 1915. This Stewart head was first introduced in 1912 and used up through 1918. The speedometer bracket is for a firewall and the road gear is used on a 34" tire. It appears that the pinion gear is a 16T8P gear, so the road gear and pinion gear cannot be used together. The swivel can be used on a Model T. I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Thanks for the info. So it looks like my wheel gear is no good to a model T owner. Would the firewall mounting bracket work for a 1915 .?? or is it for a flat firewall 1914 and earlier. ?? One more question, since it is the 1912 and up style but made in 1915 would it work and look correct for a 1912 13 and 14 or should it only be used on a 1915. I am assuming that with the proper wheel gear and the proper pinion gear it should work on any car with 30 inch tires. I hate to assume, as I usually assume wrong ... Thanks again for the info ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

You need a 60 tooth / 8 pitch wheel gear. Since it has a 1915 date I think it should be installed on a 1915 or later car. The adjustable firewall bracket was always a Stewart accessory but not standard equipment on Fords after 1910. But it goes well with the Model 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

The "G" dates this Model 26 just as the R-9 dates the "1913" swivel. The "G" is easier to see when installed on the firewall than the swivel date.

The "style" of these desirable Stewart products are very similar for years but you have to look close to tell the actual year and year/month of manufacture, 1915 and 1924-September.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Ken, or anyone. Where do we see the "G" at. I remember from having another speedometer years ago that there is a "letter" code for the date. But I can not see the "G". Am I going blind . :-) Now I have got myself into a situation :-). I may end up keeping it to use on my speedster project. Its patina matches my speedster project very well. I have 30 X 3-1/2 inch Disteel wheels, so the 60 tooth/8 pitch wheel gear should be correct for the 30 inch tires. I can buy everything I need to complete the setup from Langs, or shop around for the gears and cable. Has anyone ever mounted the wheel gear to Disteel hubs . ?? Thanks again ... Now I have to go back to the parts hoard and find something else to sell, So I can buy the Chicago trans for the speedster. problems, problems, decisions, decisions, what shall I ever do . :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:25 am:

A 7 pitch road gear! Never heard of that one. All T's use an 8 pitch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

The former owner of these parts had a mid 1920s era American Lafrance fire truck that he scrapped out. The road gear and the swivel were painted fire engine red. It may be possible the swivel and road gear came from the fire truck .?? The fire truck may have ran 34 inch tires. But he is not around anymore to say where the parts came from. The wheels and tires are still at the estate. Next time I go back to get more parts Im going to look at the tire sizes out of curiosity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 03:21 pm:

You can see the G on the speedo face plate near 6:00 in your second picture Donnie. Also, the face plate shown is not the same lettering as the 1913 type (or the 1912 for that matter). Not sure when the earliest time would be for that style of face plate but it would be approximately 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

Royce, I see it now. You guys must have eagle eyes :-) I was looking for something painted, not lightly stamped in, and the same color as the face. I looked at the Disteel wheel hubs today. They are machined on the inside to accept a road gear. Looks like it may be an easy set up to mount. Sorry if I got any ones hopes up about me selling it. I guess it is now part of the speedster project. I think my easiest set up mount is going to be the one that replaces the spindle arm nut and mounts the swivel in front of the axle. (I think ???) Thanks again for all the input ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration