Were 1914 Brass Horns Painted Black?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Were 1914 Brass Horns Painted Black?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul jacobs on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

On several occasions I noticed that the brass horns on 13-14 cars were painted black with a bare brass rim. Is this correct? I have an original Rubes horn I plan on putting on my 1914 touring. Should I be painting it black? It looks like there are traces of black paint on it.
Any thoughts?
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Yes, it should be painted black. The screen and its rim are bare brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Paul,

The best site on the internet for original period photos of 1914 Model T's is here:

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/1119-Th-1914-Model-T

You will se hundreds of horns in the photos, all of the pictures taken at the time the cars were new, or nearly new. Not one photo shows anything other than what Mike Walker describes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 06:14 pm:

Looking through the pictures I noticed that some engines sitting in the chassis were unpainted or grey and some were black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Bill

Don't think any Model T engine was painted grey.

All were slush coated with black wash. An engine in one scene that appears lighter in color also seems to be reflected bright light from the photographer's bright camera lamp, as even the workers clothes are bright.

The 1915 Ford Methods and The Ford Shops clearly lists the step for the engine paint, which is black. But a thin coat and this type paint wore off rather fast in use.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration