Kingston L4 carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Kingston L4 carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Larsen on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

I am looking for a float for a Kingston L4 carburetor. I was told a L2 and NH carburetor will not fit. Does the Briggs and Stratton part #298514 brass float fit the L4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 11:44 am:

My experience is yes, but you may have to do a little bending or filing of the pivot pin brackets on the float to allow it to swing freely. :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on July 30, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

Charlie, Do you have the needle and seat for the L4?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

We make the needle and seat for l-4 Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Larsen on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Yes I do have needle and seat. I will order a Briggs and Stratton float and give it a try. How do you get the seat out if I have to order a new set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Just a thought, one that I am not sure should be put out there or not. When I was trying to rework my 1915 Kingston carburetor, it turned out that I needed a float for it. In one of my many boxes of "stuff" was a pretty bad '20s Chevrolet Carter updraft carburetor. I don't remember exactly what I had to do to it? But with only minor alterations, the float was a nearly perfect fit in the Kingston carburetor. The size of the float is somewhat larger than the float for a Holly NH, but considerably smaller than the Holly G. If I recall correctly, I had to drill new holes for the hinge pin and some minor bending to get proper float level. It was easy to do, and the size of the float was really good. What worries me, is the idea of a few hundred model T owners taking floats out of good Carter carburetors. The one I had was a rusted and broken parts junker left over from a speedster rebuild I had years ago. The Carter carburetors are fairly common, and for vintage updraft work very well on model T speedsters. I wouldn't want to create a shortage for the vintage Chevrolet crowd, and using their floats could make that problem worse. I did try to look up the Filling Station online (a vintage Chevrolet parts supplier) to see if they offer new floats, but my moderately slow internet connection would not load it, and the search feature I did get to would not work well. Maybe someone more connected to vintage Chevrolet could check on that???? If new floats did happen to be available for the Carter carburetors, that could be a simple solution for our Kingston carburetors.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration