Valves

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Valves
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a sellers on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

Pulled the head of the 25 I bought to see what the water passages look like, they are clear in both the head and block. But while I was that far into the engine I broke the manifolds loose and peeked
into the passage with a mirror. I see a big step between the valve stem and head. Looks like I will be changing the valves. I think I have determined by reading old threads on sizing the valves that the standard stems should be 0.312, am I right?
But I can not figure out what diameter the standard heads should be. Can some one aim me at a set of specks that show this.
Thanks
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

Langs catalog use to have that on the inside of the front cover. Very useful info provided by one of our vendors in the hobby. if you have one you can find most of the specs right there,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Davis, Orleans VT on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:39 pm:

You can also download a complete catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Hmmm,...."Valve tappet to stem clearance"........022" - .032". Seems a bit excessive maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Harold

That is for the original Ford valve, two-piece, with the steel shank and iron head.

The heat expansion of new one piece steel valves is much less, so the settings are different for modern parts.

Ford two piece valve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Those are the kind of gaps you would see using the piston travel method of setting the valves.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration